MG2351 PRINCIPLES OF MANAGEMENT Anna University Question Papers Nov/Dec 2011 (Common to Seventh Semester – ECE,MECH,CIVIL,AE,AU,EEE,Polymer Technology, Textile Technology )
Posted by R.Anirudhan
B.E./B.Tech. DEGREE EXAMINATION, NOVEMBER/DECEMBER 2011.
Electrical and Electronics Engineering
MG 2351 — PRINCIPLES OF MANAGEMENT
(Common to Seventh Semester – Polymer Technology, Textile Technology,
Textile Technology (Fashion Technology) and common to Sixth Semester
Aeronautical Engineering, Automobile Engineering, Civil Engineering,
Electronics and Communication Engineering and Mechanical Engineering)
Time : Three hours Maximum : 100 marks
Answer ALL questions.
PART A — (10 × 2 = 20 marks)
1. What are the various functions of management?
2. What is scientific management?
3. What is the main purpose of planning?
4. Define the term strategic planning.
5. What is division of labour?
6. Define the term functional authority.
7. What is non-verbal communication?
8. Define Job enlargement.
9. List the basic types of control.
10. What are the three potential pitfalls of budgets?
PART B — (5 × 16 = 80 marks)
11. (a) Explain in detail Henry Fayol’s contribution towards classical approach towards management.
(b) (i) Describe the relative importance of each type of the skills to lower, middle and upper level managers. (8)
(ii) Explain the system based approach towards the management.(8)
12. (a) (i) Discuss the types and steps involved in decision making process. (8)
(ii) Explain Business portfolio matrix. (8)
(b) (i) Describe in detail the various types of organizational plans. (8)
(ii) What are the different types decision and decision-making processes? (8)
13. (a) What do you understand by organizational chart? Explain the basis of the departmentalization.
(b) Discuss the steps involved in providing appropriate human resources.
14. (a) (i) Explain the types of formal organizational communications. (8)
(ii) Discuss the barriers of effective interpersonal communications.(8)
(b) Does motivation important for organization development/achievement? Justify your answer with Maslow’s hierarchy of needs.
15. (a) Explain the term operations management and major activities associated with operations management.
(b) Discuss briefly the tools for organizational control.