MEASUREMENTS AND INSTRUMENTATION ANNA UNIVERSITY MODEL QUESTION PAPER NOV/DEC 2011 for EEE dpt (3rd sem) ...
Posted by R.Anirudhan
B.E./B.Tech. DEGREE EXAMINATION, NOVEMBER/DECEMBER 2011.
B.E – Electrical and Electronics Engineering
131301 — MEASUREMENTS AND INSTRUMENTATION
Time : Three hours Maximum : 100 marks
Answer ALL questions.
PART A — (10 ´ 2 = 20 marks)1. Define gross error with an example.
2. A meter reads 127.50 V and the true value of the voltage is 127.43 V determine
the static error correction for this instrument.
3. Find the angle between the voltage and current when the readings of two watt
meters are 2000 W and 500 W.
4. Mention any two advantages of Moving Iron Instruments.
5. Mention the applications of AC potentiometers.
6. Why the earth pin in the 3 pin socket is larger is size?
7. Mention any four important specifications of CRO.
8. What are the disadvantages of magnetic tape recorder?
9. What is meant by smart sensors?
10. What are the applications of LVDT?
PART B — (5 ´ 16 = 80 marks)
instrumentation systems and explain each block in details. (14)
(ii) Classify the static characteristics. (2)
(b) (i) Explain the secondary standard of emf (Westoncell) with necessary
(ii) Classify and explain the various types of errors. (8)
12. (a) (i) Explain the principle of dual slope integrating type digital
voltmeter with neat diagram. (10)
(ii) Compare and contrast the analog and digital meters. (6)
(b) (i) Explain the construction of single phase energy meter. (8)
(ii) Explain the principle of Vibrating reed frequency meter in detail. (8)
13. (a) (i) Explain with necessary diagram how the resistance can be
measured using the D.C. potentiometer. (6)
(ii) How the power can be measured using self balancing bridge explain
with necessary diagram? (10)
(b) (i) What are the methods available for reducing earth resistance? How
to measure earth resistance and soil resisitivity? (8)
(ii) Write short notes on electrostatic interference and electromagnetic
14. (a) With neat diagram explain the principle of operation of Digital CRO with
sampling methods in detail. (16)
(b) (i) Compare the LED and LCD display. (6)
(ii) Explain the working of Dot matrix printer. (10)
15. (a) (i) Explain the active and passive analog and digital transducers. (6)
(ii) Explain the principle of capacitive level sensor. (6)
(iii) What are the applications of piezoelectric transducer? (4)
(b) (i) Explain the principle of successive approximation type ADC with
neat sketch. (8)
(ii) What is data acquisition system? Explain the various types of
signal conditioning in DAS. (8)