ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCE AND ENGINEERING ANNA UNIVERSITY MODEL QUESTION PAPER Common to B.E./B.Tech. Civil Engineering/Computer Science and Engineering/Information Technology -3rd Semester ...
Posted by R.Anirudhan
B.E./B.Tech. DEGREE EXAMINATION, NOVEMBER/DECEMBER 2011.
Common to B.E./B.Tech. (Civil Engineering/Computer Science and
185301 — ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCE AND ENGINEERING
Time : Three hours Maximum : 100 marks
Answer ALL questions.
PART A — (10 * 2 = 20 marks)1. What are the effects of HIV/AIDS on environment?
2. What is Human Development Index (HDI)?
3. Distinguish between renewable and non- renewable resources
4. What are producers, consumers and decomposers?
5. What are hotspots of biodiversity? Mention criteria for hot spots
6. What do we mean by environment refugees?
7. What are green house gases and greenhouse effect?
8. Define Genetic and species diversity
9. What is environmental ethics?
10. What is “E” waste?
PART B — (5 *16 = 80 marks)11. (a) (i) Discuss the Universal model of energy flow in an ecosystem and
explain how the flow of energy follows the I and II law of
(ii) What are ecological pyramids? Explain why in grass land
ecosystems the pyramids of numbers are upright while in parasitic
food chain it is inverted? (8)
(b) (i) Explain different methods of In-Situ conservation of Biodiversity. (8)
(ii) What are the major causes of man-wildlife conflicts? Discuss the
remedial steps that can curb the conflict. (8)
12. (a) (i) Discuss various sources of marine pollution. How can you prevent
pollution of our oceans? (8)
(ii) How are solid waste classified? Write the sources of urban and
Industrial solid wastes. (8)
(b) (i) Briefly describe the sources, effect and prevention of soil pollution.(8)
(ii) Explain the mitigation measures for land slides. (8)
13. (a) Discuss the modern Agriculture and its impacts and problems under the
(i) High yielding varieties (4)
(ii) Fertilizer related problems (4)
(iii) Effect of Pesticides (4)
(iv) Water logging and salinity. (4)
(b) Explain the basic types of soil erosion and agents responsible for soil
erosion. What are the conservation practices employed to prevent soil
14. (a) (i) What do you mean by sustainable development? Explain the
measures to attain sustainability. (8)
(ii) Discuss the salient features of
(1) Wild life (protection) Act (4)
(2) Forest (conservation Act). (4)
(b) Discuss the objectives and various measures of wasteland reclamation
and development. (16)
15. (a) (i) How can age – structure pyramids serve as useful tool for
predicting population growth trends of a nation? Explain with
(ii) What are the impacts of population explosion over the
(b) Discuss the role of Information Technology in Environment and Human