ENGINEERING CHEMISTRY -I PREVIOUS YEAR ANNA UNIVERSITY QUESTION PAPER NOV/DEC 2011 ...
Posted by R.Anirudhan
B.E./B.Tech. DEGREE EXAMINATION,
Common to all B.E./B.Tech. (Except Marine Engineering)
183101 — ENGINEERING CHEMISTRY — I
Time : Three hours Maximum : 100 marks
Answer ALL questions.
PART A — (10 ´ 2 = 20 marks)1. Explain the role of Eriochrome Black-T in the EDTA titration.
2. Name an internal treatment method used for high pressure boiler and explain.
3. How is AIBN initiating polymerization?
4. Mention the monomers used for the preparation of Nylon-6, 6 and PET.
5. Write any two limitations of Freundlich isotherm.
6. Draw an adsorption isotherm and explain.
7. What are breeder reactors?
8. Write any two advantages of fuel cells.
9. Classify refractories with examples.
10. Define flash and fire points of lubricating oils.
PART B — (5 ´ 16 = 80 marks)11. (a) (i) What is alkalinity? Describe the principle and determination of
alkalinity by mixed indicator titration method. (8)
(ii) Write the role of coagulants in the domestic water treatment and
explain the disinfection method using chlorine. (8)
(b) (i) Discuss the demineralization method for the external conditioning
of boiler feed water. (8)
(ii) Define desalination and describe reverse osmosis. (8)
12. (a) (i) Differentiate between addition and condensation polymerization. (8)
(ii) Write the preparation, properties and uses of PVC and Teflon. (8)
(b) (i) Identify each one rubber used for tyre and tube manufacturing and
discuss about them. (8)
(ii) What are composites? Describe polymer matrix composites. (8)
13. (a) (i) Differentiate between physisorption and chemisorption with
(ii) Illustrate the effects of pressure and temperature on adsorption of
gases on solids. (8)
(b) (i) Derive and discuss Langmuir adsorption isotherm. (8)
(ii) Discuss the zeolite process for water pollution abatement. (8)
14. (a) (i) Distinguish between nuclear fission and nuclear fusion. (8)
(ii) Draw a neat diagram of a photovoltaic cell and explain its working
(b) (i) Construct a H2-O2 fuel cell and explain. (8)
(ii) Describe in detail on Nickel-Cadmium rechargeable cell. (8)
15. (a) (i) Discuss any four properties of refractories. (8)
(ii) Write the preparation, properties and uses of silicon carbide and
boron carbide. (8)
(b) (i) Illustrate the mechanism of thick film and thin film lubrications. (8)
(ii) Write an account on carbon nano tubes and its applications. (8)