EE2254 LINEAR INTEGRATED CIRCUITS AND APPLICATIONS ANNA UNIVERSITY PREVIOUS YEAR QUESTION PAPER APRIL/MAY 2010 FOR EEE DEPARTMENT (Common to ICE ,EEE, IE dpts) ...
Posted by R.Anirudhan
B.E./B.Tech. DEGREE EXAMINATION, APRIL/MAY 2010
Electrical and Electronics Engineering
EE2254 — LINEAR INTEGRATED CIRCUITS AND APPLICATIONS
(Common to Instrumentation and Control Engineering and Electronics and
Time: Three hours Maximum: 100 Marks
Answer ALL Questions
PART A — (10 × 2 = 20 Marks)
1. What is the purpose of oxidation process in IC fabrication?
2. What is parasitic capacitance?
3. List any four characteristics of an ideal OP-Amp.
4. Design an amplifier with a gain of –10 and input resistance of 10 k .
5. Define slew rate and state its significance.
6. An 8 bit DAC has a resolution of 20mV/bit. What is the analog output voltage
for the digital input code 00010110 (the MSB is the left most bit)?
7. Draw the pin diagram of IC 555 timer.
8. Mention any two application of multiplier IC.
9. List the important parts of regulated power supply.
10. What are the advantages of switch mode power supplies?
PART B — (5 × 16 = 80 Marks)
11. (a) Explain the basic processes used in silicon planar technology with neat
(b) Discuss the various methods used for fabricating IC resistors and
compare their performance.
12. (a) (i) Explain the functions of all the basic building blocks of an Op-Amp.
(ii) Explain the application of OPAMP as (1) integrator
(2) differentiator. (8)
(b) Find 0V of the following circuit.
13. (a) Design and explain triangular wave generator using Schmitt trigger and
(b) (i) Explain the operation of dual slope ADC. (8)
(ii) Explain the following characteristics of ADC resolution, accuracy,
settling time, linearity. (8)
14. (a) With neat block diagram, explain IC566 VCO operation and discuss any
(b) What are the modes of operation of IC555? Derive the expression of time
delay of a monostable multivibrator.
15. (a) With a neat diagram, explain working principle of switch mode lower
(b) Write brief notes on:
(i) IC MA 78 40