BA9269 DATABASE MANAGEMENT SYSTEM Syllabus for 3rd Sem MBA -systems Elective-Third semester - Regulation 2009 - Anna University
BA9269 DATABASE MANAGEMENT SYSTEM LT P C
3 0 0 3
UNIT I INTRODUCTION 9
Database and DBMS – characteristics – importance – advantages – evolution - codd rules- database architecture; data organization- file structures and indexing
UNIT II MODELING AND DESIGN FRAME WORK 9
Data models- Conceptual design- ER diagram-relationships- normalization -data management and system integration
UNIT III DATABASE IMPLEMENTATION 9
Query languages-SQL for data creation, retrieval and manipulation, database transactions, concurrency control, atomicity, recovery, security, backup and recovery, data base administration- client server architecture based RDBMS.
UNIT IV DISTRIBUTED DATABASE AND OBJECT ORIENTED DATABASES 9
Concepts of distributed databases and design, Object oriented databases-object life cycle modeling conceptual design-UML.
UNIT V EMERGING TRENDS 9
Overview of visual databases and knowledge based databases-conceptual design and business impacts. Scope for professionals and certifications such as Oracle Certified Professional.
1. Peter Rob, Carlos Coronel, Database System and Design, Implementation and
Management, 7 th edition, Cengage Learning,
2. Jeffrey A Hoffer et al, Modern Database Management, 8th Edition, Pearson Education, 2008,
1. V. K. Jain, Database Management Systems, Dreamtech press, 2007
2. Narayan S. Umanath and Richard W. Scamell, Data Modeling and database design, Thomson course technology, 2008
3. Mark L.Gillenson & el, Introduction database management, Wiley India Pvt. Ltd, 2008
4. Peter Rob and Carlos Coronel, Database systems- Design, Implementation and
Management, Thomson Course technology, 2008
5. Hector Garcia -Molica et al, Database Systems – The complete book, Pearson Education,