BA9258 MERCHANT BANKING AND FINANCIAL SERVICES Syllabus for 3rd Sem MBA -Finance Elective-Third semester - Regulation 2009 - Anna University
BA9258 MERCHANT BANKING AND FINANCIAL SERVICES LT P C
3 0 0 3
UNIT I MERCHANT BANKING 5
Introduction – An Over view of Indian Financial System – Merchant Banking in India – Recent Developments and Challenges ahead – Institutional Structure – Functions of Merchant Bank - Legal and Regulatory Framework – Relevant Provisions of Companies Act- SERA- SEBI guidelines- FEMA, etc. - Relation with Stock Exchanges and OTCEI.
UNIT II ISSUE MANAGEMENT 12
Role of Merchant Banker in Appraisal of Projects, Designing Capital Structure and Instruments
– Issue Pricing – Book Building – Preparation of Prospectus Selection of Bankers, Advertising
Consultants, etc. - Role of Registrars –Bankers to the Issue, Underwriters, and Brokers. – Offer for Sale – Green Shoe Option – E-IPO, Private Placement – Bought out Deals – Placement with FIs, MFs, FIIs, etc. Off - Shore Issues. – Issue Marketing – Advertising Strategies – NRI Marketing – Post Issue Activities.
UNIT III OTHER FEE BASED SERVICES 10
Mergers and Acquisitions – Portfolio Management Services – Credit Syndication – Credit Rating
– Mutual Funds - Business Valuation.
UNIT IV FUND BASED FINANCIAL SERVICES 10
Leasing and Hire Purchasing – Basics of Leasing and Hire purchasing – Financial Evaluation.
UNIT V OTHER FUND BASED FINANCIAL SERVICES 8
Consumer Credit – Credit Cards – Real Estate Financing – Bills Discounting – actoring and
Forfaiting – Venture Capital.
TOTAL:45 PERIODS TEXT BOOKS
1. M.Y.Khan, Financial Services, Tata McGraw-Hill, 11th Edition, 2008
2. Nalini Prava Tripathy, Financial Services, PHI Learning, 2008.
1. Machiraju, Indian Financial System, Vikas Publishing House, 2nd Edition, 2002.
2. J.C.Verma, A Manual of Merchant Banking, Bharath Publishing House, New Delhi,
3. Varshney P.N. & Mittal D.K., Indian Financial System, Sultan Chand & Sons, New Delhi.
4. Sasidharan, Financial Services and System, Tata Mcgraw Hill, New Delhi, 1st Edition,
5. Website of SEBI