BA9257 SECURITY ANALYSIS AND PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT Syllabus for 3rd Sem MBA -Finance Elective-Third semester - Regulation 2009 - Anna University
BA9257 SECURITY ANALYSIS AND PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT LT P C
3 0 0 3
UNIT I INVESTMENT SETTING 8
Financial and economic meaning of Investment – Characteristics and objectives of Investment – Types of Investment – Investment alternatives – Choice and Evaluation – Risk and return concepts.
UNIT II SECURITIES MARKETS 10
Financial Market - Segments – Types - - Participants in financial Market – Regulatory Environment, Primary Market – Methods of floating new issues, Book building – Role of primary market – Regulation of primary market, Stock exchanges in India – BSE, OTCEI , NSE, ISE, and Regulations of stock exchanges – Trading system in stock exchanges –SEBI.
UNIT III FUNDAMENTAL ANALYSIS 9
Economic Analysis – Economic forecasting and stock Investment Decisions – Forecasting techniques. Industry Analysis : Industry classification, Industry life cycle – Company Analysis Measuring Earnings – Forecasting Earnings – Applied Valuation Techniques – Graham and Dodds investor ratios.
UNIT IV TECHNICAL ANALYSIS 9
Fundamental Analysis Vs Technical Analysis – Charting methods – Market Indicators. Trend – Trend reversals – Patterns - Moving Average – Exponential moving Average – Oscillators – Market Indicators – Efficient Market theory.
UNIT V PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT 9
Portfolio analysis –Portfolio Selection –Capital Asset Pricing model – Portfolio Revision – Portfolio Evaluation – Mutual Funds.
TOTAL: 45 PERIODS
1. Donald E.Fischer & Ronald J.Jordan, Security Analysis & Portfolio Management, PHI Learning / Pearson Education., New Delhi, 6th edition, 2008.
2. Prasannachandra, Investment analysis and Portfolio Management, Tata McGraw Hill, 2008.
1. Reilly & Brown, Investment Analysis and Portfolio Management, Cengage Learning, 8th
2. S. Kevin , Securities Analysis and Portfolio Management , PHI Learning , 2008.
3. Bodi, Kane, Markus, Mohanty, Investments, 6th edition, Tata McGraw Hill, 2007.
4. V.A.Avadhan, Securities Analysis and Portfolio Management, Himalaya Publishing House,
5. V.K.Bhalla, Investment Management, S.Chand & Company Ltd., 2008.