BA9207 LEGAL ASPECTS OF BUSINESS Syllabus for 1st Sem MBA -First semester - Regulation 2009 - Anna University
BA9207 LEGAL ASPECTS OF BUSINESS LT P C
3 0 0 3
UNIT I MERCANTILE AND COMMERCIAL LAW 15
THE INDIAN CONTRACT ACT 1872
Essential of a valid contract, Void Agreements, Definition of contract, Formation of a contract, performance of contracts, breach of contract and its remedies, Quasi contracts.
THE SALE OF GOODS ACT 1930
Sales contract, Transfer of title and risk of loss, Guarantees and Warranties in sales contract, performance of sales contracts, conditional sales and rights of an unpaid seller.
NEGOTIABLE INSTRUMENTS ACT 1881
Nature and requisites of negotiable instruments. Transfer of negotiable instruments and liability of parties, enforcement of secondary liability, holder in due course, special rules for Cheque and drafts, discharge of negotiable instruments.
Nature of agency – Creation of agency, types of agents, Agent’s authority and liability of principal and third party: Rights and duties of principal, agents and Third party, liability of agents torts, termination of agency.
UNIT II COMPANY LAW 10
Major principles – Nature and types of companies, Formation, Memorandum and Articles of Association, Prospectus, Power, duties and liabilities of Directors, winding up of companies, Corporate Governance.
UNIT III INDUSTRIAL LAW 8
An Overview of Factories Act, Payment of Wages Act, Payment of Bonus Act, Industrial
UNIT IV INCOME TAX ACT AND SALES TAX ACT 5
Corporate Tax Planning, Overview of central Sales Tax Act 1956 – Definitions, Scope, Incidence of CST, Practical issues of CST, Value Added Tax – Concepts, Scope, Methods of VAT Calculation, Practical Implications of VAT.
UNIT V CONSUMER PROTECTION ACT AND INTRODUCTION OF CYBER
Consumer Protection Act – Consumer rights, Procedures for Consumer greivances redressal, Types of consumer Redressal Machinaries and Forums, Cyber cvimes, IT Act 2000 and 2002, Cyber Laws, Introduction of IPR – Copy rights, Trade marks, Patent Act.
TOTAL: 45 PEROIDS
1. N. D. Kapoor, Elements of mercantile Law, Sultan Chand and Company, India, 2006.
2. P. K. Goel, Business Law for Managers, Bizentra Publishers, India, 2008.
1. P. P. S. Gogna, Mercantile Law, S. Chand & Co. Ltd., India, Fourth Edition, 2008.
2. Dr. Vinod, K. Singhania, Direct Taxes Planning and Management, 2008.
3. Akhileshwar Pathack, Legal Aspects of Business, 4th Edition, Tata McGraw Hill, 2007.
4. Richard Stim, Intellectual Property- Copy Rights, Trade Marks, and Patents, Cengage
5. V. S. Datey, Taxman Publication, 21st Edition, 2008.