BA9201 STATISTICS FOR MANAGEMENT Syllabus for 1st Sem MBA -First semester - Regulation 2009 - Anna University
BA9201 STATISTICS FOR MANAGEMENT LT P C
3 1 0 4
UNIT I INTRODUCTION TO STATISTICS & PROBABILITY 12
Statistics – Definition, Types. Types of variables – Organising data - Descriptive Measures. Basic definitions and rules for probability, conditional probability independence of events, Baye’s theorem, and random variables, Probability distributions: Binomial, Poisson, Uniform and Normal distributions.
UNIT II SAMPLING DISTRIBUTION AND ESTIMATION 12
Introduction to sampling distributions, sampling distribution of mean and proportion, application of central limit theorem, sampling techniques. Estimation: Point and Interval estimates for population parameters of large sample and small samples, determining the sample size.
UNIT III TESTING OF HYPOTHESIS 12
Hypothesis testing: one sample and two sample tests for means and proportions of large samples (z-test), one sample and two sample tests for means of small samples (t-test), F-test for two sample standard deviations. ANOVA one and two way – Design of experiments.
UNIT IV NON-PARAMETRIC METHODS 12
Chi-square test for single sample standard deviation. Chi-square tests for independence of attributes and goodness of fit. Sign test for paired data. Rank sum test. Kolmogorov-Smirnov – test for goodness of fit, comparing two populations. Mann – Whitney U test and Kruskal Wallis test. One sample run test, rank correlation.
UNIT V CORRELATION, REGRESSION, INDEX NUMERS AND TIME SERIES ANALYSIS 12
Correlation analysis, estimation of regression line. Time series analysis: Variations in time series, trend analysis, cyclical variations, seasonal variations and irregular variations. Index Numbers – Laspeyre’s, Paasche’s and Fisher’s Ideal index.
TOTAL: 60 PERIODS
1. Levin R.I. and Rubin D.S., Statistics for Management, 7th edition, Prentice Hall of India Pvt.
Ltd., New Delhi, 2001.
2. Srivatsava TN, Shailaja Rego, Statistics for Management, Tata McGraw Hill, 2008.
3. Anand Sharma, Statistics for Management, Himalaya Publishing House, Second
Revised edition, 2008.
1. Anderson D.R., Sweeney D.J. and Williams T.A., Statistics for business and economics, 8th
edition, Thomson (South – Western) Asia, Singapore, 2002.
2. Aczel A.D. and Sounderpandian J., Complete Business Statistics, 6th edition, Tata
McGraw – Hill, 2004.
3. Prem S. Mann, Introductory Statistics, Wiley Student Edition, Fifth Edition.