EE2401 POWER SYSTEM OPERATION AND CONTROL – Anna University Previous year Model Question Paper Nov/Dec 2011 ...
Posted by R.Anirudhan
B.E./B.Tech. DEGREE EXAMINATION, NOVEMBER/DECEMBER 2011.
Electrical and Electronics Engineering
EE 2401 — POWER SYSTEM OPERATION AND CONTROL
Time : Three hours Maximum : 100 marksAnswer ALL questions.
PART A — (10 × 2 = 20 marks)
1. Define ‘‘Connected load’’.
2. What is a ‘‘Load Curve’’?
3. What is ‘‘AGC’’?
4. What are the conditions necessary for sharing load operating in parallel
between the two synchronous machines?
5. What are the merits of synchronous compensator?
6. What are the various methods of voltage control in transmission system?
7. Write the equality and inequality constraints considered in the economic
8. Define spinning reserve constraint in unit commitment problem.
9. Define the EMS system.
10. What is the function of load dispatch center?
PART B — (5 × 16 = 80 marks)
11. (a) A generating station has a maximum demand of 20 MW, a load factor
of 60% a plant capacity factor of 48% and a plant use factor of 80%.
(i) Daily energy produced
(ii) Reserve capacity of the plant
(iii) Maximum energy that could be produced daily if the plant were
running all the time and
(iv) Maximum energy that could be produced if the plant when
running (acc. to operating schedule) were fully loaded.
Or 2webworld 2webworld
(b) (i) A generating station has a maximum demand of 50,000 kW.
Calculate the cost per unit generated from the following data. (12)
Capital cost = Rs. 95 × 106
Annual load factor = 40%
Annual cost of fuel
and oil = Rs. 9 × 106
Taxes, wages and
salaries etc = Rs. 7.5 × 106
depreciation = 12%.
(ii) (1) Define ‘‘diversity factor’’ . (2)
(2) Define ‘‘Plant use factor’’. (2)
12. (a) Draw the block diagram of uncontrolled two area load frequency
control system and explain the salient features under static
(b) How is speed governor mechanism modeled? Explain its operations
with the speed load characteristics? (16)
13. (a) (i) Develop a typical excitation arrangement to control the voltage
of an alternative and explain. (8)
(ii) Briefly explain the role of tap changing transformer in voltage
(b) What is static VAR compensator? Where it is used? Explain its
operation. Also state the merits of static VAR compensator over the
other methods of voltage control. (16)
14. (a) (i) Explain the unit commitment problem using priority ordering
load dispatch. (8)
(ii) Explain the term ‘Incremental Operating cost’ of power system
related with economic dispatch. (8)
(b) The fuel inputs pre hour of plants 1 and 2 are given as
Determine the economic operating schedule and the corresponding
cost of generation if the maximum and minimum loading on each
unit is 100 MW and 25 MW. Assume the transmission losses are
ignored and the total demand is 180 MW. Also determine the saving
obtained if the load is equally shared by both the units. (16)
15. (a) (i) Explain need of computer control of power system. (6)
(ii) Briefly explain various functions of SCADA with a neat diagram.
(b) Explain various state transitions and control strategies using state
transition diagram. (16)