EE2201 MEASUREMENTS & INSTRUMENTATION ANNA UNIVERSITY APRIL/MAY 2010 QUESTION PAPER ..
Posted by R.Anirudhan
B.E./B.Tech. DEGREE EXAMINATION, APRIL/MAY 2010
Electrical and Electronics Engineering
EE2201 — MEASUREMENTS AND INSTRUMENTATION
Time: Three hours Maximum: 100 Marks
Answer ALL Questions
PART A — (10 × 2 = 20 Marks)
1. What are the static characteristics of measurement system?
2. What is the significance of calibration?
3. Write any four types of analog ammeter used for instrumentation.
4. List out the methods used for measurement of iron loss in ferromagnetic materials.
5. What is the use of potentiometer in the field of electrical measurement?
6. What is the need for screening?
7. Give the functional difference between Strip chart recorder and X-Y recorder.
8. What are the merits and demerits of Digital Storage Oscilloscope?
9. Define inverse transducers with example.
10. Mention any four types of Analog to Digital converter.
PART B — (5 × 16 = 80 Marks)
11. (a) What are the basic functional blocks of a generalized instrumentation system? Draw the various blocks and explain their functions. (16)
(b) A circuit was tuned for resonance by eight different students, and the value of resonant frequency in kHz were recorded as 532, 548, 543, 535, 546, 531, 543 and 536. Calculate (i) the arithmetic mean, (ii) deviation from the mean, (iii) average deviation, and (iv) standard deviation. (16)
12. (a) With a neat diagram, explain the construction, working principle of single phase wattmeter. What is the importance of deflection torque in these instruments? (12 + 4)
(b) Write short notes on :
(i) Use of current transformer for current and power measurement. (8)
(ii) Working of Weston frequency meter. (8)
13. (a) What are the difficulties associated with measurement of low resistance?
Describe how low resistance is measured accurately by Kelvin’s double bridge. (4 + 12)
(b) (i) Discuss the effects of electro static and electromagnetic interference
in instruments. (8)
(ii) Write short notes on Grounding techniques. (8)
14. (a) Explain the principle of working of a magnetic tape recorder. What are its basic components and their functions? (10 + 6)
(b) Briefly discuss the use of LED and LCD as display devices in instrumentation. Comment on their relative merits and demerits. (16)
15. (a) Explain the principle of the following transducers (i) Strain gauges (8) (ii) Piezoelectric transducers. (8)
(b) What is data acquisition system? Give the block diagram arrangement of
a data acquisition system and describe the function of each component.