EE2201 MEASUREMENTS AND INSTRUMENTATION ANNA UNIVERSITY QUESTION PAPER NOVEMBER/DECEMBER 2009 ...
Posted by R.Anirudhan
B.E./B.Tech. DEGREE EXAMINATION, NOVEMBER/DECEMBER 2009
Electrical and Electronics Engineering
EE2201 — MEASUREMENTS AND INSTRUMENTATION
Time : Three hours Maximum : 100 Marks
Answer ALL Questions
PART A — (10 × 2 = 20 Marks)1. Differentiate Resolution from Threshold.
2. How are the absolute and relative errors expressed mathematically?
3. What are the essential torques required for operating an instrument?
4. What is phase meter? Mention the types of phase meter.
5. What is an isolation amplifier? Where is it used?
6. State the condition for balance in a Wheatstone bridge.
7. What are the types of printers according to printing methodology?
8. What are the main parts of the cathode ray tube?
9. Differentiate sensor from transducer.
10. Draw the block diagram for 4 bit Analog to Digital Converter.
PART B — (5 × 16 = 80 Marks)11. (a) Define and explain the static characteristics of an instrument.
(b) (i) Draw and explain the general block diagram of measurement
(ii) Write a note on different types of errors.
12. (a) Describe the construction and working principle of single phase
induction type energy meter. Write a short note on any two adjustments
required in energy meters.
(b) Explain with neat sketch the classification of Instrument Transformers.
Write a note on the errors affecting the characteristics of an Instrument
13. (a) With a neat sketch describe a bridge to determine the unknown
inductance and a bridge to determine the unknown capacitance.
(b) Explain the grounding techniques in detail to reduce the ground loop
14. (a) Describe the LED and LCD display devices.
(b) Describe the direct and frequency modulation magnetic tape recording
types. Give its merits and demerits.
15. (a) What are the selection criteria for the transducer? Explain the working
principle of LVDT with neat sketch and characteristics. Give
advantages, disadvantages and applications of LVDT.
(b) What are the performance parameters of Analog to Digital Converter?
Explain any two basic A/D conversion techniques in detail.