EC2311 Communication Engineering Anna University Previous Year Question Paper May/June 2012 for EEE dpt (5th Semester) ...
Posted by R.Anirudhan
ELECTRICAL AND ELECTRONICS ENGINEERING
EC-2311 – COMMUNICATION ENGINEERING
Time: Three hours Maximum: 100 marks
Answer ALL questions.
PART A — (10 × 2 = 20 marks)
1. Define Modulation index
2. State Carson’s rule
3. What is aliasing?
4. What is slope overload error?
5. Define entropy
6. Draw the NRZ and RZ waveform for the pulse stream 10101011
7. What is multiplexing?
8. What are the advantages of SDMA?
9. What is geosynchronous orbit?
10. State Snell’s law.
PART-B— (5× 16= 80 marks)
11.(a). (i) Derive an expression for the AM wave and its power relation.(8)
(ii) what are the advantages of SSB modulation technique? Explain any one method of SSB generation (8)
b.(i) derive an expression for the narrow band FM wave.(8)
(ii) Explain the Armstrong method of FM generation.(8)
12.a.(i) state and prove sampling theorem(6)
(ii)Explain the generation of PWM and PPM waves.(10)
b.(i) compare PCM and DM.(4)
(ii) Explain the DM and ADM (6)
(iii) Explain the concept of BPSK and QPSK technique in data communication.(6)
13. a. (i) with suitable examples, explain Shannon Fano encoding Schemes (8)
(ii) Explain Huffman coding with suitable example.(8)
14. (a) Discuss in detail about TDMA and FDMA techniques.(16)
(b) Discuss in detail about CDMA technique and compare its performance with TDMA and FDMA (16)
15. (a) (i) Explain the satellite link budget satellite system power budget.(8)
(ii) Explain the uplink and down link model of satellite communication system.(8)
15. (b) (i) with neat sketch explain the various blocks and its functionalities of a fiber optic communication system.(8)
(ii) write a note on power line carrier communications. (8)