EC2203 DIGITAL ELECTRONICS - ANNA UNIVERSITY PREVIOUS YEAR QUESTION PAPER April/May 2010 for ECE DEPARTMENT ...
Posted by R.Anirudhan
B.E./B.Tech. DEGREE EXAMINATION, APRIL/MAY 2010
Electronics and Communications Engineering
EC2203 — DIGITAL ELECTRONICS
Time: Three hours Maximum: 100 Marks
Answer ALL Questions
PART A — (10 × 2 = 20 Marks)1. State DeMorgan’s theorem.
2. Draw an active-high tri-state buffer and write its truth table.
3. Write an expression for borrow and difference in a full subtractor circuit.
4. Draw the circuits diagram for 4 bit Odd parity generator.
5. Mention any two differences between the edge triggering and level triggering.
6. What is meant by programmable counter? Mention its application.
7. What is meant by memory expansion? Mention its limit.
8. What are the advantages of static RAM compared to Dynamic RAM?
9. Draw the block diagram for Moore model.
10. What are hazard free digital circuits?
PART B — (5 × 16 = 80 Marks)11. (a) (i) Express the Boolean function as
(1) POS form
(2) SOP form
D = (A’ + B) (B’ + C) (4)
(ii) Minimize the given terms
πM (0, 1, 4, 11, 13, 15) + πd (5, 7, 8) using Quine-McClusky
methods and verify the results using K-map methods. (12)
(b) (i) Implement the following function using NOR gates. (8)
Output = 1 when the inputs are ) 4 , 3 , 2 , 1 , 0 ( m ∑
= 0 when the inputs are ) 7 , 6 , 5 ( m ∑ .
(ii) Discuss the general characteristic of TTL and CMOS logic families.
12. (a) (i) Derive the equation for a 4-bit look ahead carry adder circuit. (6)
(ii) Draw and explain the block diagram of a 4-bit serial adder to add
the contents of two registers. (10)
(b) (i) Multiply (1011)2 by (1101)2 using addition and shifting operation
also draw block diagram of the 4-bit by 4 bit parallel multiplier. (8)
(ii) Design and implement the conversion circuits for Binary code to
gray code. (8)
13. (a) (i) Construct a clocked JK flip flop which is triggered at the positive
edge of the clock pulse from a clocked SR flip flop consisting of
NOR gates. (4)
(ii) Design a synchronous up/down counter that will count up from zero
to one to two to three, and will repeat whenever an external input x
is logic 0, and will count down from three to two to one to zero, and
will repeat whenever the external input x is logic 1. Implement your
circuit with one TTL SN74LS76 device and one TTL SN74LS00
(b) (i) Write down the Characteristic table for the JK flip flop with
NOR gates. (4)
(ii) What is meant by Universal Shift Register? Explain the principle of
Operation of 4-bit Universal Shift Register. (12)
14. (a) (i) We can expand the word size of a RAM by combining two or more
RAM chips. For instance, we can use two 32 × 8 memory chips
where the number 32 represents the number of words and 8
represents the number of bits per word, to obtain a 32 × 16 RAM. In
this case the number of words remains the same but the length of
each word will two bytes long. Draw a block diagram to show how
we can use two 16 × 4 memory chips to obtain a 16 × 8 RAM. (8)
(ii) Explain the principle of operation of Bipolar SRAM cell. (8)
(b) (i) A combinational circuit is defined as the functions
F1 = AB’C’+AB’C+ABC
F2 = A’BC+AB’C+ABC
Implement the digital circuit with a PLA having 3 inputs, 3 product
terms, and 2 outputs. (8)
(ii) Write a note on SRAM based FPGA. (8)
15. (a) For the circuit shown in figure, write down the state table and draw the
state diagram and analyze the operation. (16)
(b) What are called as essential hazards? How does the hazard occur in
sequential circuits? How can the same be eliminated using SR latches?
Give an example. (16)