CY2111 ENGINEERING CHEMISTRY – I lecture notes common for all first year students
posted by R.Anirudhan
CY2111 Lecture Notes
To impart a sound knowledge on the principles of chemistry involving the different application oriented topics required for all engineering branches.
• The student should be conversant with the principles water characterization and treatment of potable and industrial purposes.
• Principles of polymer chemistry and engineering applications of polymers
• Industrial applications of surface chemistry
• Conventional and non-conventional energy sources and energy storage devices and Chemistry of engineering materials.
UNIT I WATER TECHNOLOGY 9
Characteristics – alkalinity – types of alkalinity and determination – hardness – types and estimation by EDTA method (problems); Domestic water treatment – disinfection methods (Chlorination, ozonation. UV treatment) – Boiler feed water – requirements
– disadvantages of using hard water in boilers – internal conditioning (phosphate,
calgon and carbonate conditioning methods) – external conditioning –
demineralization process – desalination and reverse osmosis.
UNIT II POLYMERS AND COMPOSITES 9
Polymers-definition – polymerization – types – addition and condensation polymerization – free radical polymerization mechanism – Plastics, classification – preparation, properties and uses of PVC, Teflon, polycarbonate, polyurethane, nylon-
6,6, PET- Rubber -vulcanization of rubber, synthetic rubbers – buty1 rubber, SBR, Composites – definition, types polymer matrix composites – FRP only.
UNIT III SURFACE CHEMISTRY 9
Adsorption – types – adsorption of gases on solids – adsorption isotherms – Frendlich and Langmuir isotherms – adsorption of solutes from solution – role of adsorbents in catalysis, ion-exchange adsorption and pollution abatement.
UNIT IV NON-CONVENTIONAL ENERGY SOURCES AND
STORAGE DEVICES 9
Nuclear energy – fission and fusion reactions and light water nuclear reactor for power generation (block diagram only) – breeder reactor – solar energy conversion – solar cells – wind energy – fuel cells – hydrogen – oxygen fuel cell – batteries – alkaline batteries – lead–acid, nickel–cadmium and lithium batteries.
UNIT V ENGINEERING MATERIALS 9
Refractories – classification – acidic, basic and neutral refractories – properties (refractoriness, refractoriness under load, dimensional stability, porosity, thermal spalling) – manufacture of alumina, magnesite and zirconia bricks, Abrasives – natural and synthetic abrasives – quartz, corundum, emery, garnet, diamond, silicon carbide and boron carbide. Lubricants – mechanism of lubrication, liquid lubricants, - properties – viscosity index, flash and fire points, cloud and pour points, oilyness) – solid lubricants – graphite and molybdenum sulphide. Nanomaterials – introduction to nanochemistry – carbon nanotubes and their applications
TOTAL: 45 PERIODS
1. P.C.Jain and Monica Jain, “Engineering Chemistry” Dhanpat Rai Pub, Co., New Delhi (2002).
2. S.S. Dara “A text book of engineering chemistry” S.Chand & Co.Ltd., New
1. B.K.Sharma “Engineering chemistry” Krishna Prakasan Media (P) Ltd., Meerut (2001).
2. B. Sivasankar “Engineering Chemistry” Tata McGraw-Hill Pub.Co.Ltd, New
Click The Below Link To Download Lecture Notes for all the five units
Looking for Job : Check Here for more Jobs
Check For events: Symposium, cultural, conference and more
To Get alert, like us in facebook or subscribe us and To find what you need very easy Click G+