ANALOG AND DIGITAL COMMUNICATION
L T P C
3 1 0 4
FUNDAMENTALS OF ANALOG COMMUNICATION
Principles of amplitude modulation, AM envelope, frequency spectrum and bandwidth,
modulation index and percent modulation, AM Voltage distribution, AM power distribution, Angle modulation - FM and PM waveforms, phase deviation and modulation index, frequency deviation and percent modulation, Frequency analysis of angle modulated waves. Bandwidth requirements for Angle modulated waves.
UNIT II DIGITAL COMMUNICATION 9
Introduction, Shannon limit for information capacity, digital amplitude modulation, frequency shift keying, FSK bit rate and baud, FSK transmitter, BW consideration of FSK, FSK receiver, phase shift keying – binary phase shift keying – QPSK, Quadrature Amplitude modulation, bandwidth efficiency, carrier recovery – squaring loop, Costas loop, DPSK.
UNIT III DIGITAL TRANSMISSION 9
Introduction, Pulse modulation, PCM – PCM sampling, sampling rate, signal to quantization noise rate, companding – analog and digital – percentage error, delta modulation, adaptive delta modulation, differential pulse code modulation, pulse transmission – Intersymbol interference, eye patterns.
UNIT IV DATA COMMUNICATIONS 9
Introduction, History of Data communications, Standards Organizations for data communication, data communication circuits, data communication codes, Error control, Error Detection, Error correction, Data communication Hardware, serial and parallel interfaces, data modems, Asynchronous modem, Synchronous modem, low-speed modem, medium and high speed modem, modem control.
UNIT V SPREAD SPECTRUM AND MULTIPLE ACCESS TECHNIQUES 9
Introduction, Pseudo-noise sequence, DS spread spectrum with coherent binary PSK, processing gain, FH spread spectrum, multiple access techniques – wireless communication, TDMA and CDMA in wireless communication systems, source coding of speech for wireless communications.
TOTAL: 60 PERIODS
1. Wayne Tomasi, “Advanced Electronic Communication Systems”, 6/e, Pearson
2. Simon Haykin, “Communication Systems”, 4th Edition, John Wiley & Sons. 2001.
1. H.Taub,D L Schilling ,G Saha ,”Principles of Communication”3/e,2007.
2. B.P.Lathi,”Modern Analog And Digital Communication systems”, 3/e, Oxford
University Press, 2007
3. Blake, “Electronic Communication Systems”, Thomson Delmar Publications, 2002.
4. Martin S.Roden, “Analog and Digital Communication System”, 3rd Edition, PHI, 2002.
5. B.Sklar,”Digital Communication Fundamentals and Applications”2/e Pearson