MG2351 PRINCIPLES OF MANAGEMENT L T P C
3 0 0 3
UNIT I OVERVIEW OF MANAGEMENT 9
Organization - Management - Role of managers - Evolution of Management thought - Organization
and the environmental factors - Managing globally - Strategies for International Business.
UNIT II PLANNING 9
Nature and purpose of planning - Planning process - Types of plans – Objectives - Managing by
objective (MBO) Strategies - Types of strategies - Policies - Decision Making - Types of decision -
Decision Making Process - Rational Decision Making Process - Decision Making under different
UNIT III ORGANIZING 9
Nature and purpose of organizing - Organization structure - Formal and informal groups I
organization - Line and Staff authority - Departmentation - Span of control - Centralization and
Decentralization - Delegation of authority - Staffing - Selection and Recruitment - Orientation -
Career Development - Career stages – Training - Performance Appraisal.
UNIT IV DIRECTING 9
Creativity and Innovation - Motivation and Satisfaction - Motivation Theories Leadership - Leadership
theories - Communication - Hurdles to effective communication - Organization Culture - Elements
and types of culture - Managing cultural diversity.
UNIT V CONTROLLING 9
Process of controlling - Types of control - Budgetary and non-budgetary control techniques -
Managing Productivity - Cost Control - Purchase Control - Maintenance Control - Quality Control -
TOTAL : 45 PERIODS
1. Stephen P. Robbins and Mary Coulter, 'Management', Prentice Hall of India, 8th edition.
2. Charles W L Hill, Steven L McShane, 'Principles of Management', Mcgraw Hill Education, Special
Indian Edition, 2007.
1. Hellriegel, Slocum & Jackson, ' Management - A Competency Based Approach', Thomson
South Western, 10th edition, 2007.
2. Harold Koontz, Heinz Weihrich and Mark V Cannice, ‘Management – A global &
Entrepreneurial Perspective’, Tata Mcgraw Hill, 12th edition, 2007.
3. Andrew J. Dubrin, 'Essentials of Management', Thomson Southwestern, 7th