ME2401 MECHATRONICS L T P C
3 0 0 3
· To understand the interdisciplinary applications of Electronics, Electrical, Mechanical and Computer Systems for the Control of Mechanical and Electronic Systems.
UNIT I MECHATRONICS, SENSORS AND TRANSDUCERS 9
Introduction to Mechatronics Systems – Measurement Systems – Control Systems – Microprocessor based Controllers. Sensors and Transducers – Performance Terminology – Sensors for Displacement, Position and Proximity; Velocity, Motion, Force, Fluid Pressure, Liquid Flow, Liquid Level, Temperature,Light Sensors – Selection of Sensors
UNIT II ACTUATION SYSTEMS 9
Pneumatic and Hydraulic Systems – Directional Control Valves – Rotary Actuators. Mechanical Actuation Systems – Cams – Gear Trains – Ratchet and pawl – Belt and Chain Drives – Bearings. Electrical Actuation Systems – Mechanical Switches – Solid State Switches – Solenoids – Construction and working principle of DC and AC Motors
– speed control of AC and DC drives, Stepper Motors-switching circuitries for stepper motor – AC & DC Servo motors
UNIT III SYSTEM MODELS AND CONTROLLERS 9
Building blocks of Mechanical, Electrical, Fluid and Thermal Systems, Rotational – Transnational Systems, Electromechanical Systems – Hydraulic – Mechanical Systems. Continuous and discrete process Controllers – Control Mode – Two – Step mode – Proportional Mode – Derivative Mode – Integral Mode – PID Controllers – Digital Controllers – Velocity Control – Adaptive Control – Digital Logic Control – Micro Processors Control.
UNIT IV PROGRAMMING LOGIC CONTROLLERS 9
Programmable Logic Controllers – Basic Structure – Input / Output Processing – Programming – Mnemonics – Timers, Internal relays and counters – Shift Registers – Master and Jump Controls – Data Handling – Analogs Input / Output – Selection of a PLC.
UNIT V DESIGN OF MECHATRONICS SYSTEM 9
Stages in designing Mechatronics Systems – Traditional and Mechatronic Design - Possible Design Solutions. Case studies of Mechatronics systems- Pick and place Robot- Autonomous mobile robot-Wireless suriviellance balloon- Engine Management system- Automatic car park barrier.
TOTAL: 45 PERIODS
1. Bolton,W, “Mechatronics” , Pearson education, second edition, fifth Indian Reprint,
2. Smaili.A and Mrad.F , "Mechatronics integrated technologies for intelligent machines", Oxford university press, 2008
1. Rajput. R.K, A textbook of mechatronics, S. Chand & Co, 2007
2. Michael B. Histand and David G. Alciatore, “ Introduction to Mechatronics and
Measurement Systems”, McGraw-Hill International Editions, 2000.
3. Bradley D. A., Dawson D., Buru N.C. and. Loader A.J, “Mechatronics”, Chapman and
4. Dan Necsulesu, “Mechatronics”, Pearson Education Asia, 2002 (Indian Reprint).
5. Lawrence J. Kamm, “Understanding Electro – Mechanical Engineering”, An
Introduction to Mechatronics, Prentice – Hall of India Pvt., Ltd., 2000.
6. Nitaigour Premchand Mahadik, “Mechatronics”, Tata McGraw-Hill publishing
Company Ltd, 2003