ME2304 ENGINEERING METROLOGY AND MEASUREMENTS L T P C (Common to Mechanical and Automobile) 3 0 0 3
· To understand the basic principles of measurements
· To learn the various linear and angular measuring equipments, their principle of operation and applications
· To learn about various methods of measuring Mechanical parameters
UNIT I CONCEPT OF MEASUREMENT 9
General concept – Generalised measurement system-Units and standards-measuring instruments: sensitivity, stability, range, accuracy and precision-static and dynamic response-repeatability-systematic and random errors-correction, calibration - Introduction to Dimensional and Geometric Toleranceing - interchangeability,
UNIT II LINEAR AND ANGULAR MEASUREMENT 9
Definition of metrology-Linear measuring instruments: Vernier, micrometer, Slip gauges and classification, - Tool Makers Microscope - interferometery, optical flats, - Comparators: limit gauges Mechanical, pneumatic and electrical comparators, applications. Angular measurements: -Sine bar, Sine center, bevel protractor and angle Decker..
UNIT III FORM MEASUREMENT 9
Measurement of screw threads: Thread gauges, floating carriage micrometer- measurement of gear tooth thickness: constant chord and base tangent method-Gleason gear testing machine – radius measurements-surface finish: equipment and parameters, straightness, flatness and roundness measurements.
UNIT IV LASER AND ADVANCES IN METROLOGY 9
Precision instruments based on laser-Principles- laser interferometer-application in measurements and machine tool metrology- Coordinate measuring machine (CMM): need, construction, types, applications.- computer aided inspection.
UNIT V MEASUREMENT OF MECHANICAL PARAMETERS 9
Force, torque, power:-mechanical, pneumatic, hydraulic and electrical type-Pressure measurement - Flow: Venturi, orifice, rotameter, pitot tube –Temperature: bimetallic strip, thermocouples, pyrometer, electrical resistance thermistor.
1. Jain R.K., “Engineering Metrology”, Khanna Publishers, 2005
TOTAL: 45 PERIODS
2. Alan S. Morris, “The Essence of Measurement”, Prentice Hall of India, 1997
1. Gupta S.C, “Engineering Metrology”, Dhanpat rai Publications, 2005
2. Jayal A.K, “Instrumentation and Mechanical Measurements”, Galgotia Publications
3. Beckwith, Marangoni, Lienhard, “Mechanical Measurements”, Pearson Education,
4. Donald Deckman, “Industrial Instrumentation”, Wiley Eastern, 1985.