ME2303 DESIGN OF MACHINE ELEMENTS L T P C
3 1 0 4
· To familiarise the various steps involved in the Design Process
· To understand the principles involved in evaluating the shape and dimensions of a component to satisfy functional and strength requirements.
· To learn to use standard practices and standard data
· To learn to use catalogues and standard machine components
UNIT I STEADY STRESSES AND VARIABLE STRESSES IN MACHINE MEMBERS 12
Introduction to the design process - factor influencing machine design, selection of materials based on mechanical properties -- Preferred numbers, fits and tolerances –
Direct, Bending and torsional stress equations – Impact and shock loading – calculation of principle stresses for various load combinations, eccentric loading – Design of curved beams – crane hook and ‘C’ frame - Factor of safety - theories of failure – stress concentration – design for variable loading – Soderberg, Goodman and Gerber relations
UNIT II DESIGN OF SHAFTS AND COUPLINGS 12
Design of solid and hollow shafts based on strength, rigidity and critical speed – Design of keys, key ways and splines - Design of crankshafts -- Design of rigid and flexible couplings.
UNIT III DESIGN OF TEMPORARY AND PERMANENT JOINTS 12
Threaded fastners - Design of bolted joints including eccentric loading, Knuckle joints, Cotter joints – Design of welded joints, riveted joints for structures - theory of bonded joints.
UNIT IV DESIGN OF ENERGY STORING ELEMENTS 12
Design of various types of springs, optimization of helical springs -- rubber springs -- Design of flywheels considering stresses in rims and arms, for engines and punching machines.
UNIT V DESIGN OF BEARINGS AND MISCELLANEOUS ELEMENTS 12
Sliding contact and rolling contact bearings -- Design of hydrodynamic journal bearings, McKee's Eqn., Sommerfield Number, Raimondi & Boyd graphs, -- Selection of Rolling Contact bearings -- Design of Seals and Gaskets -- Design of Connecting Rod.
TUTORIAL = 15 L = 45 TOTAL: 60 PERIODS Note: (Use of P S G Design Data Book is permitted in the University examination)
1. Shigley J.E and Mischke C. R., “Mechanical Engineering Design”, Sixth Edition, Tata
McGraw-Hill , 2003.
2. Bhandari V.B, “Design of Machine Elements”, Second Edition, Tata McGraw-Hill
Book Co, 2007.
1. Sundararajamoorthy T. V, Shanmugam .N, "Machine Design", Anuradha
Publications, Chennai, 2003.
2. Orthwein W, “Machine Component Design”, Jaico Publishing Co, 2003.
3. Ugural A.C, “Mechanical Design – An Integral Approach, McGraw-Hill Book Co,
4. Spotts M.F., Shoup T.E “Design and Machine Elements” Pearson Education, 2004.
1. IS 10260 : Part 1 : 1982 Terms, definitions and classification of Plain bearings Part 1
2. IS 10260 : Part 1 : 1982 Terms, definitions and classification of Plain bearings Part 2
: Friction and Wear.
3. IS 10260 : Part 1 : 1982 Terms, definitions and classification of Plain bearings Part 3