ME2201 MANUFACTURING TECHNOLOGY – I L T P C
3 0 0 3
To introduce the students the concepts of some basic manufacturing processes and fabrication techniques, such as metal casting, metal joining, metal forming and plastics component manufacture.
UNIT I METAL CASTING PROCESSES 9
Sand casting – Sand moulds - Type of patterns – Pattern materials – Pattern allowances – Types of Moulding sand – Properties – Core making – Methods of Sand testing – Moulding machines – Types of moulding machines - Melting furnaces – Working principle of Special casting processes – Shell, investment casting – Ceramic mould – Lost Wax process – Pressure die casting – Centrifugal casting – CO2 process
– Sand Casting defects – Inspection methods
UNIT II JOINING PROCESSES 9
Fusion welding processes – Types of Gas welding – Equipments used – Flame characteristics – Filler and Flux materials - Arc welding equipments - Electrodes – Coating and specifications – Principles of Resistance welding – Spot/butt, seam welding – Percusion welding - Gas metal arc welding – Flux cored – Submerged arc welding – Electro slag welding – TIG welding – Principle and application of special welding processes - Plasma arc welding – Thermit welding – Electron beam welding – Friction welding – Diffusion welding – Weld defects – Brazing and soldering process – Methods and process capabilities – Filler materials and fluxes – Types of Adhesive bonding.
UNIT III BULK DEFORMATION PROCESSES 9
Hot working and cold working of metals – Forging processes – Open, impression and closed die forging – Characteristics of the process – Types of Forging Machines – Typical forging operations – Rolling of metals – Types of Rolling mills - Flat strip rolling
– Shape rolling operations – Defects in rolled parts - Principle of rod and wire drawing - Tube drawing –– Principles of Extrusion – Types of Extrusion – Hot and Cold extrusion
–– Equipments used.
UNIT IV SHEET METAL PROCESSES 9
Sheet metal characteristics - Typical shearing operations, bending and drawing operations – Stretch forming operations –– Formability of sheet metal – Test methods
– Working principle and application of special forming processes - Hydro forming – Rubber pad forming – Metal spinning – Introduction to Explosive forming, Magnetic pulse forming, Peen forming, Super plastic forming.
UNIT V MANUFACTURING OF PLASTIC COMPONENTS 9
Types of plastics - Characteristics of the forming and shaping processes – Moulding of Thermoplastics – Working principles and typical applications of - Injection moulding – Plunger and screw machines – Compression moulding, Transfer moulding - Typical industrial applications – Introduction to Blow moulding – Rotational moulding – Film blowing – Extrusion - Thermoforming, - Bonding of Thermoplastics.
TOTAL: 45 PERIODS
1. Hajra Choudhury, “Elements of Workshop Technology, Vol. I and II”, Media
Promotors Pvt Ltd., Mumbai, 2001
2. S.Gowri, P.Hariharan, and A.Suresh Babu, “Manufacturing Technology 1”, Pearson
Education , 2008.
1. B.S. Magendran Parashar & R.K. Mittal,”Elements of Manufacturing Processes”, Prentice Hall of India, 2003.
2. P.N. Rao,”Manufacturing Technology”,Tata McGraw-Hill Publishing Limited, II Edition, 2002.
3. P.C. Sharma, “A text book of production technology”,S. Chand and Company, IV
4. Begman, ‘Manufacturing Process”, John Wilely & Sons, VIII Edition, 2005.
5. Serope Kalpajian, Steven R.Schmid, Manufacturing Engineering and Technology,
Pearson Education, Inc. 2002(Second Indian Reprint).
6. Beddoes.J and Bibby M.J, ‘Principles of Metal Manufacturing Processes’, Elsevier,
7. Rajput R.K, ‘A text book of Manufacturing Technology’, Lakshmi Publications, 2007.
Get all informations related to Anna university
To get instant updates like us in