Sunday, June 24, 2012
ME2029 DESIGN OF JIGS, FIXTURES & PRESS TOOLS Syllabus for Mechanical Seventh(7th) Semester - Anna University
ME2029 DESIGN OF JIGS, FIXTURES & PRESS TOOLS L T P C
3 0 0 3
· To understand the functions and design principles of Jigs, fixtures and press tools
· To gain proficiency in the development of required views of the final design.
UNIT I LOCATING AND CLAMPING PRINCIPLES: 8
Objectives of tool design- Function and advantages of Jigs and fixtures – Basic elements
– principles of location – Locating methods and devices – Redundant Location – Principles of clamping – Mechanical actuation – pneumatic and hydraulic actuation Standard parts – Drill bushes and Jig buttons – Tolerances and materials used.
UNIT II JIGS AND FIXTURES 10
Design and development of jigs and fixtures for given component- Types of Jigs – Post, Turnover, Channel, latch, box, pot, angular post jigs – Indexing jigs – General principles of milling, Lathe, boring, broaching and grinding fixtures – Assembly, Inspection and Welding fixtures – Modular fixturing systems- Quick change fixtures.
UNIT III PRESS WORKING TERMINOLOGIES AND ELEMENTS OF
CUTTING DIES 10
Press Working Terminologies - operations – Types of presses – press accessories – Computation of press capacity – Strip layout – Material Utilization – Shearing action – Clearances – Press Work Materials – Center of pressure- Design of various elements of dies – Die Block – Punch holder, Die set, guide plates – Stops – Strippers – Pilots – Selection of Standard parts – Design and preparation of four standard views of simple blanking, piercing, compound and progressive dies.
UNIT IV BENDING FORMING AND DRAWING DIES 10
Difference between bending, forming and drawing – Blank development for above operations – Types of Bending dies – Press capacity – Spring back – knockouts – direct and indirect – pressure pads – Ejectors – Variables affecting Metal flow in drawing operations – draw die inserts – draw beads- ironing – Design and development of bending, forming, drawing reverse re-drawing and combination dies – Blank development for ax- symmetric, rectangular and elliptic parts – Single and double action dies.
UNIT V MISCELLANEOUS TOPICS 7
Bulging, Swaging, Embossing, coining, curling, hole flanging, shaving and sizing, assembly, fine Blanking dies – recent trends in tool design- computer Aids for sheet metal forming Analysis – basic introduction - tooling for numerically controlled machines- setup reduction for work holding – Single minute exchange of dies – Poka Yoke - Course should be supplemented with visits to industries.
(Use of Approved design Data Book permitted).
TOTAL: 45 PERIODS
1. Joshi, P.H. “Jigs and Fixtures”, Second Edition, Tata McGraw Hill Publishing Co., Ltd., New Delhi, 2004.
2. Donaldson, Lecain and Goold “Tool Design”, III rd Edition Tata McGraw Hill, 2000.
1. K. Venkataraman, “Design of Jigs Fixtures & Press Tools”, Tata McGraw Hill, New
2. Kempster, “Jigs and Fixture Design”, Hoddes and Stoughton – Third Edition 1974.
3. Joshi, P.H. “Press Tools” – Design and Construction”, Wheels publishing, 1996.
4. Hoffman “Jigs and Fixture Design” – Thomson Delmar Learning, Singapore, 2004.
5. ASTME Fundamentals of Tool Design Prentice Hall of India.
6. Design Data Hand Book, PSG College of Technology, Coimbatore.
Anna University Nov/Dec 2012 Timetable Result
To get instant updates like us in Facebook