ME 2205 ELECTRICAL DRIVES AND CONTROL L T P C
(Common to Mechanical, Production &Technology Faculty) 3 0 0 3
· To understand the basic concepts of different types of electrical machines and their performance.
· To study the different methods of starting D.C motors and induction motors.
· To study the conventional and solid-state drives
UNIT I INTRODUCTION 8
Basic Elements – Types of Electric Drives – factors influencing the choice of electrical drives – heating and cooling curves – Loading conditions and classes of duty – Selection of power rating for drive motors with regard to thermal overloading and Load variation factors
UNIT II DRIVE MOTOR CHARACTERISTICS 9
Mechanical characteristics – Speed-Torque characteristics of various types of load and drive motors – Braking of Electrical motors – DC motors: Shunt, series and compound - single phase and three phase induction motors.
UNIT III STARTING METHODS 8
Types of D.C Motor starters – Typical control circuits for shunt and series motors – Three phase squirrel cage and slip ring induction motors.
UNIT IV CONVENTIONAL AND SOLID STATE SPEED CONTROL OF D.C.
Speed control of DC series and shunt motors – Armature and field control, Ward- Leonard control system - Using controlled rectifiers and DC choppers –applications.
UNIT V CONVENTIONAL AND SOLID STATE SPEED CONTROL
OF A.C. DRIVES 10
Speed control of three phase induction motor – Voltage control, voltage / frequency control, slip power recovery scheme – Using inverters and AC voltage regulators – applications.
TOTAL: 45 PERIODS
1. Vedam Subrahmaniam, “Electric Drives (concepts and applications)”, Tata McGraw- Hill, 2001
2. Nagrath .I.J. & Kothari .D.P, “Electrical Machines”, Tata McGraw-Hill, 1998
1. Pillai.S.K “A first course on Electric drives”, Wiley Eastern Limited, 1998
2. M.D.Singh, K.B.Khanchandani, “Power Electronics”, Tata McGraw-Hill, 1998
3. H.Partab, “Art and Science and Utilisation of electrical energy”, Dhanpat Rai and
Get all informations related to Anna university
To get instant updates like us in