ME 2202 ENGINEERING THERMODYNAMICS L T P C
3 1 0 4
· To achieve an understanding of principles of thermodynamics and to be able to use it in accounting for the bulk behaviour of the simple physical systems.
· To provide in-depth study of thermodynamic principles, thermodynamics of state, basic thermodynamic relations, Principle of Psychrometry & Properties of pure substances
· To enlighten the basic concepts of vapour power cycles.
UNIT I BASIC CONCEPT AND FIRST LAW 9+3
Basic concepts - concept of continuum, macroscopic approach, Thermodynamic systems - closed, open and isolated. Property, state, path and process, quasi-static process, work, modes of work, Zeroth law of thermodynamics – concept of temperature and heat. Concept of ideal and real gases. First law of thermodynamics – application to closed and open systems, internal energy, specific heat capacities, enthalpy, steady flow process with reference to various thermal equipments.
UNIT II SECOND LAW 9+3
Second law of thermodynamics – Kelvin’s and Clausius statements of second law. Reversibility and irreversibility. Carnot theorem, Carnot cycle, reversed carnot cycle, efficiency, COP. Thermodynamic temperature scale, Clausius inequality, concept of entropy, entropy of ideal gas, principle of increase of entropy – availability.
UNIT III PROPERTIES OF PURE SUBSTANCE AND STEAM
POWER CYCLE 9+3
Properties of pure substances – Thermodynamic properties of pure substances in solid, liquid and vapour phases, phase rule, P-V, P-T, T-V, T-S, H-S diagrams, PVT surfaces, thermodynamic properties of steam. Calculations of work done and heat transfer in non- flow and flow processes. Standard Rankine cycle, Reheat and regenerative cycle.
UNIT IV IDEAL AND REAL GASES AND THERMODYNAMIC
Gas mixtures – properties ideal and real gases, equation state, Avagadro’s Law, Vander Waal’s equation of state, compressability factor, compressability chart – Dalton’s law of partial pressure, exact differentials, T-D relations, Maxwell’s relations, Clausius Clapeyron equations, Joule –Thomson coefficient.
UNIT V PSYCHROMETRY 9+3
Psychrometry and psychrometric charts, property calculations of air vapour mixtures. Psychrometric process – Sensible heat exchange processes. Latent heat exchange processes. Adiabatic mixing, evaporative cooling
L= 45 T= 15 TOTAL : 60 PERIODS
(Use of standard thermodynamic tables, Mollier diagram, Psychometric chart and
Refrigerant property tables are permitted)
1. Nag.P.K., “Engineering Thermodynamics”, Tata McGraw-Hill,New Delhi, 1998.
2. Cengel, ‘Thermodynamics – An Engineering Approach’ Third Edition – 2003 – Tata
McGraw Hill, New Delhi.
1. Holman.J.P., “Thermodynamics”, 3rd Ed. McGraw-Hill, 1995.
2. Venwylen and Sontag, “Classical Thermodynamics”, Wiley Eastern, 1987
3. Arora C.P, “ Thermodynamics”, Tata McGraw-Hill, New Delhi, 2003.
4. Merala C, Pother, Craig W, Somerton, “ Thermodynamics for Engineers”, Schaum
Outline Series, Tata McGraw-Hill, New Delhi, 2004.