ME 2031 THERMAL TURBO MACHINES L T P C
3 0 0 3
To instruct the importance of the principles of various turbomachines
To understand the various systems, principles, operations and applications of different types of turbo machinery components.
UNIT I PRINCIPLES 9
Energy transfer between fluid and rotor-classification of fluid machinery,-dimensionless parameters-specific speed-applications-stage velocity triangles-work and efficiency.
UNIT II CENTRIFUGAL FANS AND BLOWERS 9
Types- stage and design parameters-flow analysis in impeller blades-volute and diffusers, losses, characteristic curves and selection, fan drives and fan noise.
UNIT III CENTRIFUGAL COMPRESSOR 9
Construction details, impeller flow losses, slip factor, diffuser analysis, losses and performance curves.
UNIT IV AXIAL FLOW COMPRESSOR 9
Stage velocity diagrams, enthalpy-entropy diagrams, stage losses and efficiency, work done simple stage design problems and performance characteristics.
UNIT V AXIAL AND RADIAL FLOW TURBINES 9
Stage velocity diagrams, reaction stages, losses and coefficients, blade design principles, testing and performance characteristics.
TOTAL: 45 PERIODS
1. Yahya, S.H., Turbines, Compressor and Fans, Tata McGraw Hill Publishing
1. Bruneck, Fans, Pergamom Press, 1973.
2. Earl Logan, Jr., Hand book of Turbomachinery, Marcel Dekker Inc., 1992.
3. Dixon, S.I., Fluid Mechanics and Thermodynamics of Turbomachinery, Pergamon
4. Shepherd, D.G., Principles of Turbomachinery, Macmillan, 1969.
5. Stepanpff, A.J., Blowers and Pumps, John Wiley and Sons Inc. 1965.
6. Ganesan, V., Gas Turbines, Tata McGraw Hill Pub. Co., 1999.
7. Gopalakrishnan .G and Prithvi Raj .D, A Treatise on Turbo machines, Scifech
Publications (India) Pvt. Ltd., 2002.