Wednesday, June 13, 2012
IC2351 ADVANCED CONTROL SYSTEM L T P C
3 0 0 3
To gain knowledge in state variable analysis, non-linear systems and optimal control.
i To study the state variable analysis
ii To provide adequate knowledge in the phase plane analysis.
iii To give a basic knowledge in describing function analysis.
iv To analyze the stability of the systems using different techniques.
v To study the design of optimal controller.
UNIT I STATE VARIABLE ANALYSIS 9
Concept of state – State Variable and State Model – State models for linear and continuous time
systems – Solution of state and output equation – controllability and observability - Pole Placement –
State observer Design of Control Systems with observers.
UNIT II PHASE PLANE ANALYSIS 9
Features of linear and non-linear systems - Common physical non-linearities – Methods of linearising
non-linear systems - Concept of phase portraits – Singular points – Limit cycles – Construction of
phase portraits – Phase plane analysis of linear and non-linear systems – Isocline method.
UNIT III DESCRIBING FUNCTION ANALYSIS 9 Basic concepts, derivation of describing functions for common non-linearities – Describing function
analysis of non-linear systems – Conditions for stability – Stability of oscillations.
UNIT IV STABILITY ANALYSIS 9
Introduction – Liapunov’s stability concept – Liapunov’s direct method – Lure’s transformation –
Aizerman’s and Kalman’s conjecture – Popov’s criterion – Circle criterion.
UNIT V OPTIMAL CONTROL 9
Introduction -Decoupling - Time varying optimal control – LQR steady state optimal control
– Optimal estimation – Multivariable control design.
TOTAL : 45 PERIODS
1. I.J. Nagrath and M. Gopal, ‘Control Systems Engineering’, New Age International Publishers,
2. Ashish Tewari, ‘Modern control Design with Matlab and Simulink’, John Wiley, New Delhi, 2002.
1. George J. Thaler, ‘Automatic Control Systems’, Jaico Publishers, 1993.
2. M.Gopal, Modern control system theory, New Age International Publishers, 2002.
3. Gene F. Franklin, J. David Powell and Abbasemami-Naeini, “ Feedback Control of Dynamic
Systems”, Fourth edition, Pearson Education, Low price edition. 2002.
Anna University Nov/Dec 2012 Timetable Result
To get instant updates like us in Facebook