GE2022 TOTAL QUALITY MANAGEMENT L T P C
3 0 0 3 UNIT I INTRODUCTION 9
Introduction - Need for quality - Evolution of quality - Definition of quality - Dimensions of
manufacturing and service quality - Basic concepts of TQM - Definition of TQM – TQM Framework -
Contributions of Deming, Juran and Crosby – Barriers to TQM.
UNIT II TQM PRINCIPLES 9
Leadership – Strategic quality planning, Quality statements - Customer focus – Customer
orientation, Customer satisfaction, Customer complaints, Customer retention - Employee
involvement – Motivation, Empowerment, Team and Teamwork, Recognition and Reward,
Performance appraisal - Continuous process improvement – PDSA cycle, 5s, Kaizen - Supplier
partnership – Partnering, Supplier selection, Supplier Rating.
UNIT III TQM TOOLS & TECHNIQUES I 9
The seven traditional tools of quality – New management tools – Six-sigma: Concepts, methodology,
applications to manufacturing, service sector including IT – Bench marking – Reason to bench mark,
Bench marking process – FMEA – Stages, Types.
UNIT IV TQM TOOLS & TECHNIQUES II 9
Quality circles – Quality Function Deployment (QFD) – Taguchi quality loss function – TPM –
Concepts, improvement needs – Cost of Quality – Performance measures.
UNIT V QUALITY SYSTEMS 9
Need for ISO 9000- ISO 9000-2000 Quality System – Elements, Documentation, Quality auditing-
QS 9000 – ISO 14000 – Concepts, Requirements and Benefits – Case studies of TQM
implementation in manufacturing and service sectors including IT.
TOTAL : 45 PERIODS
1. Dale H.Besterfiled, et at., “Total Quality Management”, Pearson Education Asia,
Third Edition, Indian Reprint (2006).
1. James R. Evans and William M. Lindsay, “The Management and Control of Quality”, (6th Edition),
South-Western (Thomson Learning), 2005.
2. Oakland, J.S. “TQM – Text with Cases”, Butterworth – Heinemann Ltd., Oxford, Third Edition
3. Suganthi,L and Anand Samuel, “Total Quality Management”, Prentice Hall (India) Pvt. Ltd.
4. Janakiraman,B and Gopal, R.K, “Total Quality Management – Text and Cases”, Prentice Hall
(India) Pvt. Ltd. (2006)