Monday, June 18, 2012
EI2403 VLSI DESIGN Syllabus | Anna University | Regulation 2008 | (Applicable to the students admitted from the Academic year 2008 – 2009 onwards)
EI2403 VLSI DESIGN L T P C
3 0 0 3
To understand the basic concepts of VLSI and CMOS design.
To give clear idea about the basics of VLSI design and its importance.
To know about the operating principles of MOS transistor.
To study about construction of NMOS, CMOS and Bi-CMOS based logic gates.
To understand the functioning of programmable and Reprogrammable devices.
To learn about the programming of Programmable device using Hardware description
UNIT I BASIC MOS TRANSISTOR 9
Enhancement mode & Depletion mode – Fabrication (NMOS, PMOS, CMOS, BiCMOS) Technology
– NMOS transistor current equation – second order effects – MOS Transistor Model.
UNIT II NMOS & CMOS INVERTER AND GATES 9
NMOS & CMOS inverter – Determination of pull up / pull down ratios – stick diagram – lambda
based rules – super buffers – BiCMOS & steering logic.
UNIT III SUB SYSTEM DESIGN & LAYOUT 9
Structured design of combinational circuits – Dynamic CMOS & clocking – Tally circuits – (NANDNAND,
NOR-NOR and AOI logic) – EXOR structure – Multiplexer structures – Barrel shifter.
UNIT IV DESIGN OF COMBINATIONAL ELEMENTS & REGULAR ARRAYLOGIC 9
NMOS PLA – Programmable Logic Devices - Finite State Machine PLA – Introduction to FPGA,
UNIT V VHDL PROGRAMMING 9
RTL Design – Detructured level Design -combinational logic – Types – Operators – Packages –
Sequential circuit – Sub programs – Test benches. (Examples: address, counters, flipflops, FSM,
Multiplexers / Demltiplexers).
TOTAL : 45 PERIODS
1. D.A.Pucknell, K.Eshraghian, ‘Basic VLSI Design’, 3rd Edition, Prentice Hall of India, New
2. Eugene D.Fabricius, ‘Introduction to VLSI Design’, Tata McGraw Hill, 1990.
1. N.H.Weste, ‘Principles of CMOS VLSI Design’, Pearson Education, India, 2002.
2. Charles H.Roth, ‘Fundamentals of Logic Design’, Jaico Publishing House, 1992.
3. Zainalatsedin Navabi, ‘VHDL Analysis and Modelling of Digital Systems’, 2n
Edition, Tata McGraw Hill, 1998.
4. Douglas Perry, ‘VHDL Programming By Example’, Tata McGraw Hill, 3rdEdition.2007.
5. Parag K.Lala, ‘Digitl System Design using PLD’, BS Publications, 2003.
Anna University Nov/Dec 2012 Timetable Result
To get instant updates like us in Facebook