ELECTRONIC DEVICES AND CIRCUITS
L T P C
(Common to EIE & ICE)
3 0 0 3
To provide an exposure to various electronic devices and electronic circuits.
· At the end of the course, students’ will have the knowledge about functioning of various types of devices and design of various electronic circuits.
UNIT I SEMICONDUCTOR DIODE AND BJT 9
PN Junction – Current components in a PN diode – Junction capacitance – Junction diode switching time – Zener diode – Varactor diode – Tunnel diode – Schottky diode – Transistor Structure – Basic Transistor operation – Transistor characteristics and parameters – The transistor as a switch, as an amplifier – Transistor bias circuits:- Voltage divider bias circuits, base bias circuits, emitter bias circuits, collector feedback bias circuits – DC load line – AC load line- bias stabilization, thermal runaway and thermal stability.
UNIT II FET, UJT and SCR 9
JFET characteristics and parameters – JFET biasing, self bias, voltage divider bias – Q point, stability over temperature – MOSFET D-MOSFET, E-MOSFET – MOSFET characteristics and parameters – MOSFET biasing, zero bias, voltage divider bias method, drain feedback bias – Characteristics and applications of UJT, SCR, DIAC, TRIAC.
UNIT III AMPLIFIERS 9
CE, CC and CB amplifiers - Small signal low frequency transistor amplifier circuits - h parameter representation of a transistor - Analysis of single stage transistor amplifier using parameters voltage gain, current gain, input impedance and output impedance-frequency response - RC coupled amplifier.
Classification of Power amplifiers:- Class A, B, AB and C Power amplifiers-Push-Pull and
Complementary Symmetry Push-Pull amplifiers - Design of power output, efficiency and cross-over distortion.
UNIT IV FEEDBACK AMPLIFIERS AND OSCILLATORS 9
Advantages of negative feedback - Voltage/current, series/shunt feedback-Positive feedback - Condition for oscillators - Phase shift - Wein Bridge – Hartley - Colpitts and crystal oscillators.
UNIT V PULSE CIRCUITS AND POWER SUPPLIES 9
RC wave shaping circuits - Diode clampers and clippers – Multivibrators -Schmitt triggers - UJT - Saw tooth oscillators - Single and polyphase rectifiers and analysis of filter circuits - Design of zener and transistor series voltage regulators - Switched mode power supplies.
L = 45 TOTAL : 45 PERIODS
1. Millman and Halkias, “Electronic Devices and Circuits”, Tata McGraw– Hill, 2007.
2. Floyd, T.L, “Electronic Devices” 6th Edition, Pearson Education, 2003.
3. Millman and Halkias, “Integrated Electronics”, McGraw-Hill, 2004.
1. Mottershead, A., “Electronic Devices and Circuits an Introduction”,Prentice Hall of India, 2003.
2. Boylsted and Nashelsky, “Electronic Devices and Circuit Theory”, Prentice Hall of India, 6th
3. Streetman, B. and Sanjay, B., “Solid State Electronic Devices”, Prentice- Hall of India, 5th
4. Bell, D.A., “Electronic Devices and Circuits”, Prentice Hall of India, 4th Edition, 1999.
5. Millman, J., Prakash Rao., M.S. and Taub, H., “Pulse Digital and Switching Wave Forms”, McGraw-Hill, 2007.