EI2201 ELECTRICAL MACHINES (Common to EIE & ICE)
To impart basic knowledge on Electrical machines, principles and its behavior.
At the end of this course, student would have been exposed to:
· Theory of structures, operating principle, characteristics, and applications of D.C and A.C
rotating machines and transformers in detail.
· Introductory knowledge on Special Machines.
UNIT I D.C. MACHINES 12
Construction of D.C. Machines - Principle and theory of operation of D.C. generator - EMF equation
- Characteristics of D.C. generators - Armature reaction – Commutation - Principle of operation of D.C. motor - Voltage equation - Torque equation - Types of D.C. motors and their characteristics – Starters - Speed control of D.C. motors - Applications.
UNIT II TRANSFORMERS 9
Principle - Theory of ideal transformer - EMF equation - Construction details of shell and core type transformers - Tests on transformers - Equivalent circuit - Phasor diagram - Regulation and efficiency of a transformer - Introduction to three - phase transformer connections.
UNIT III SYNCHRONOUS MACHINES 8
Principle of alternators:- Construction details, Equation of induced EMF and Vector diagram - Synchronous motor:- Starting methods, Torque, V curves, Speed control and Hunting.
UNIT IV INDUCTION MACHINES 9
Induction motor:- Construction and principle of operation, Classification of induction motor, Torque equation, Condition for maximum torque, Equivalent Circuit, Starting methods and Speed control of induction motors.
UNIT V SPECIAL MACHINES 7
Types of single phase motor –Double revolving field theory – Cross field theory – Capacitor start capacitor run motors – Shaded pole motor – Repulsion type motor – Universal motor – Hysteresis motor - Permanent magnet synchronous motor – Switched reluctance motor – Brushless D.C motor.
L = 45 TOTAL: 45 PERIODS
1. Nagrath, I.J., and Kothari, D.P., “ Electrical Machines”, Tata McGraw - Hill, 1997.
2. Fitzgerald A.E, Kingsley C., Umans, S. and Umans S.D., “Electric Machinery”, McGraw- Hill, Singapore, 2000.
1. Theraja, B.L., “A Text book of Electrical Technology”, Vol.II, S.C Chand and Co., New Delhi,
2. Del Toro, V., “Electrical Engineering Fundamentals”, Prentice Hall of India, New Delhi, 1995.
3. Cotton, H., “Advanced Electrical Technology”, Sir Isaac Pitman and Sons Ltd., London, 1999.