EI2023 MICRO ELECTRO MECHANICAL SYSTEMS L T P C
3 0 0 3AIM
The course is designed to familiarize the student with the functions and applications of MEMS.
(i) To study about MEMS and parts of MEMS
(ii) To study the design methodalogy of MEMS for various mechanics. (iii) To study about actuators in MEMS.
(iv) To study about MEMS based circuits.
(v) To study about optical and RF based MEMS.
UNIT I INTRODUCTION TO MEMS 9
MEMS and Microsystems, Miniaturization, Typical products, Micro Sensors,Micro actuation, MEMS
with micro actuators, Microaccelorometers and Micro fluidics, MEMS materials, Micro Fabrication
UNIT II MECHANICS FOR MEMS DESIGN 9
Elasticity, Stress, strain and material properties, Bending of thin plates, Spring configurations, torsional deflection, Mechanical vibration, Resonance, Thermo mechanics – actuators, force and response time, Fracture and thin film mechanics, material, physical vapor deposition (PVD), chemical mechanical polishing (CMP)
UNIT III ELECTRO STATIC DESIGN 9
Electrostatics: basic theory, electro static instability, Surface tension, gap and finger pull up, Electro static actuators, Comb generators, gap closers, rotary motors, inch worms, Electromagnetic actuators, bistable actuators.
UNIT IV CIRCUIT AND SYSTEM ISSUES 9
Electronic interfaces, Feed back systems, Noise, Circuit and system issues,
Case studies –Capacitive accelerometer, Peizo electric pressure sensor, Thermal sensors, radiation sensors, mechanical sensors, bio-chemical sensors Modeling of MEMS systems, CAD for MEMS.
UNIT V INTRODUCTION TO OPTICAL AND RF MEMS 9
Optical MEMS, system design basics – Gaussian optics, matrix operations, Resolution, Case studies, MEMS scanners and retinal scanning, display, Digital Micro mirror devices, RF Memes – design basics, case study – Capacitive RF MEMS switch, Performance issues.
1. Stephen Santeria, “Microsystems Design “, Kluwer publishers, 2000.
TOTAL : 45 PERIODS
1. Nadim Maluf, “ An introduction to Micro electro mechanical system design”, Artech House, 2000.
2. Mohamed Gad-el-Hak, editor, “ The MEMS Handbook”, CRC press Baco Raton, 2000
3. Tai Ran Hsu, “MEMS & Micro systems Design and Manufacture” Tata McGraw Hill, New Delhi,
4. Julian w. Gardner, Vijay k. varadan, Osama O.Awadelkarim,micro sensors mems and smart devices, John Wiley & son LTD,2002
5. James J.Allen, micro electro mechanical system design, CRC Press published in 2005