EE 2353 HIGH VOLTAGE ENGINEERING L T P C
3 0 0 3
To expose the students to various types of over voltage transients in power system and its
effect on power system.
- Generation of over voltages in laboratory.
- Testing of power apparatus and system.
i. To understand the various types of over voltages in power system and protection
ii. Generation of over voltages in laboratories.
iii. Measurement of over voltages.
iv. Nature of Breakdown mechanism in solid, liquid and gaseous dielectrics.
v. Testing of power apparatus and insulation coordination.
UNIT I OVER VOLTAGES IN ELECTRICAL POWER SYSTEMS 6
Causes of over voltages and its effects on power system – Lightning, switching surges and
temporary over voltages – protection against over voltages – Bewley’s lattice diagram.
UNIT II ELECTRICAL BREAKDOWN IN GASES, SOLIDS AND LIQUIDS 10
Gaseous breakdown in uniform and non-uniform fields – Corona discharges – Vacuum breakdown –
Conduction and breakdown in pure and commercial liquids – Breakdown mechanisms in solid and
UNIT III GENERATION OF HIGH VOLTAGES AND HIGH CURRENTS 10
Generation of High DC, AC, impulse voltages and currents. Tripping and control of impulse
UNIT IV MEASUREMENT OF HIGH VOLTAGES AND HIGH CURRENTS 10
Measurement of High voltages and High currents – Digital techniques in high voltage measurement.
UNIT V HIGH VOLTAGE TESTING & INSULATION COORDINATION 9
High voltage testing of electrical power apparatus – Power frequency, impulse voltage and DC
testing – International and Indian standards – Insulation Coordination.
TOTAL : 45 PERIODS
1. M. S. Naidu and V. Kamaraju, ‘High Voltage Engineering’, Tata McGraw Hill,
3rd Edition, 2004.
1. E. Kuffel and W. S. Zaengel, ‘High Voltage Engineering Fundamentals’, Pergamon Press,
Oxford, London, 1986.
2. E. Kuffel and M. Abdullah, ‘High Voltage Engineering’, Pergamon Press, Oxford, 1970.
3. L. L. Alston, Oxford University Press, New Delhi, First Indian Edition, 2006.