Friday, June 22, 2012
EC2403 RF AND MICROWAVE ENGINEERING L T P C
3 0 0 3
To enable the student to become familiar with active & passive microwave devices &
components used in Microwave communication systems.
· To study about multi- port RF networks and RF transistor amplifiers
· To study passive microwave components and their S- Parameters.
· To study Microwave semiconductor devices & applications.
· To study Microwave sources and amplifiers.
UNIT I TWO PORT RF NETWORKS-CIRCUIT REPRESENTATION 9
Low frequency parameters-impedance ,admittance, hybrid and ABCD. High frequency parameters-Formulation of S parameters, properties of S parameters-Reciprocal and lossless networks, transmission matrix, Introduction to component basics, wire, resistor, capacitor and inductor, applications of RF
UNIT II RFTRANSISTOR AMPLIFIER DESIGN AND MATCHING NETWORKS 9
Amplifier power relation, stability considerations, gain considerations noise figure, impedance matching networks, frequency response, T and Π matching networks, microstripline matching networks
UNIT III MICROWAVE PASSIVE COMPONENTS 9
Microwave frequency range, significance of microwave frequency range - applications of microwaves. Scattering matrix -Concept of N port scattering matrix representation- Properties of S matrix- S matrix formulation of two-port junction. Microwave junctions - Tee junctions -Magic Tee - Rat race - Corners - bends and twists - Directional couplers - two hole directional couplers- Ferrites - important microwave properties and applications
– Termination - Gyrator- Isolator-Circulator - Attenuator - Phase changer – S Matrix for microwave components – Cylindrical cavity resonators.
UNIT IV MICROWAVE SEMICONDUCTOR DEVICES 9
Microwave semiconductor devices- operation - characteristics and application of BJTs and FETs -Principles of tunnel diodes - Varactor and Step recovery diodes - Transferred Electron Devices -Gunn diode- Avalanche Transit time devices- IMPATT and TRAPATT devices. Parametric devices -Principles of operation - applications of parametric amplifier .Microwave monolithic integrated circuit (MMIC) - Materials and fabrication techniques
UNIT V MICROWAVE TUBES AND MEASUREMENTS 9
Microwave tubes- High frequency limitations - Principle of operation of Multicavity Klystron, Reflex Klystron, Traveling Wave Tube, Magnetron. Microwave measurements: Measurement of power, wavelength, impedance, SWR, attenuation, Q and Phase shift.
TOTAL = 45 PERIODS
1. Samuel Y Liao, “Microwave Devices & Circuits” , Prentice Hall of India, 2006.
2. Reinhold.Ludwig and Pavel Bretshko ‘RF Circuit Design”, Pearson Education, Inc.,
1. Robert. E.Collin-Foundation of Microwave Engg –Mc Graw Hill.
2. Annapurna Das and Sisir K Das, “Microwave Engineering”, Tata Mc Graw
Hill Inc., 2004.
3. M.M.Radmanesh , RF & Microwave Electronics Illustrated, Pearson
4. Robert E.Colin, 2ed “Foundations for Microwave Engineering”, McGraw Hill, 2001
5. D.M.Pozar, “Microwave Engineering.”, John Wiley & sons, Inc., 2006.
Anna University Nov/Dec 2012 Timetable Result
To get instant updates like us in Facebook