EC2402 OPTICAL COMMUNICATION AND NETWORKING L T P C
3 0 0 3
· To introduce the various optical fiber modes, configurations and various signal degradation factors associated with optical fiber.
· To study about various optical sources and optical detectors and their use in the optical communication system. Finally to discuss about digital transmission and its associated parameters on system performance.
· To learn the basic elements of optical fiber transmission link, fiber modes configurations and structures.
· To understand the different kind of losses, signal distortion in optical wave guides and other signal degradation factors. Design optimization of SM fibers, RI profile and cut-off wave length.
· To learn the various optical source materials, LED structures, quantum efficiency, Laser diodes and different fiber amplifiers.
· To learn the fiber optical receivers such as PIN APD diodes, noise performance in photo detector, receiver operation and configuration.
· To learn fiber slicing and connectors, noise effects on system performance, operational principles WDM and solutions.
UNIT I INTRODUCTION 9
Introduction, Ray theory transmission- Total internal reflection-Acceptance angle –
Numerical aperture – Skew rays – Electromagnetic mode theory of optical propagation – EM waves – modes in Planar guide – phase and group velocity – cylindrical fibers – SM fibers.
UNIT II TRANSMISSION CHARACTERISTICS OF OPTICAL FIBERS 9
Attenuation – Material absorption losses in silica glass fibers – Linear and Non linear Scattering losses - Fiber Bend losses – Midband and farband infra red transmission – Intra and inter Modal Dispersion – Over all Fiber Dispersion – Polarization- non linear Phenomena. Optical fiber connectors, Fiber alignment and Joint Losses – Fiber Splices
– Fiber connectors – Expanded Beam Connectors – Fiber Couplers.
UNIT III SOURCES AND DETECTORS 9
Optical sources: Light Emitting Diodes - LED structures - surface and edge emitters, mono and hetero structures - internal - quantum efficiency, injection laser diode structures - comparison of LED and ILD
Optical Detectors: PIN Photo detectors, Avalanche photo diodes, construction, characteristics and properties, Comparison of performance, Photo detector noise -Noise sources , Signal to Noise ratio , Detector response time.
UNIT IV FIBER OPTIC RECEIVER AND MEASUREMENTS 9
Fundamental receiver operation, Pre amplifiers, Error sources – Receiver Configuration
– Probability of Error – Quantum limit.
Fiber Attenuation measurements- Dispersion measurements – Fiber Refractive index profile measurements – Fiber cut- off Wave length Measurements – Fiber Numerical Aperture Measurements – Fiber diameter measurements.
UNIT V OPTICAL NETWORKS 9
Basic Networks – SONET / SDH – Broadcast – and –select WDM Networks – Wavelength Routed Networks – Non linear effects on Network performance – Performance of WDM + EDFA system – Solitons – Optical CDMA – Ultra High Capacity Networks.
TOTAL = 45 PERIODS TEXT BOOKS
1. Optical Fiber Communication – John M. Senior – Pearson Education – Second
2. Optical Fiber Communication – Gerd Keiser – Mc Graw Hill – Third Edition. 2000
1. J.Gower, “Optical Communication System”, Prentice Hall of India, 2001
2. Rajiv Ramaswami, “Optical Networks “ , Second Edition, Elsevier , 2004.
3. Govind P. Agrawal, “ Fiber-optic communication systems”, third edition, John Wiley
& sons, 2004.
4. R.P. Khare, “Fiber Optics and Optoelectronics”, Oxford University Press, 2007.