Friday, June 22, 2012
EC2401 WIRELESS COMMUNICATION L T P C
3 0 0 3
To introduce the concepts of wireless / mobile communication using cellular environment. To make the students to know about the various modulation techniques, propagation methods, coding and multi access techniques used in the mobile communication. Various wireless network systems and standards are to be introduced.
· It deals with the fundamental cellular radio concepts such as frequency reuse and handoff. This also demonstrates the principle of trunking efficiency and how trunking and interference issues between mobile and base stations combine to affect the overall capacity of cellular systems.
· It presents different ways to radio propagation models and predict the large – scale effects of radio propagation in many operating environment. This also covers small propagation effects such as fading, time delay spread and Doppler spread and describes how to measures and model the impact that signal bandwidth and motion have on the instantaneous received signal through the multi-path channel.
· It provides idea about analog and digital modulation techniques used in wireless communication.
· It also deals with the different types of equalization techniques and diversity concepts.. It provides an introduction to speech coding principles which have driven
the development of adaptive pulse code modulation and linear predictive coding
· It deals with advanced transceiver schemes and second generation and third generation wireless networks.
UNIT I SERVICES AND TECHNICAL CHALLENGES 9
Types of Services, Requirements for the services, Multipath propagation, Spectrum Limitations, Noise and Interference limited systems, Principles of Cellular networks, Multiple Access Schemes.
UNIT II WIRELESS PROPAGATION CHANNELS 9
Propagation Mechanisms (Qualitative treatment), Propagation effects with mobile radio, Channel Classification, Link calculations, Narrowband and Wideband models.
UNIT III WIRELESS TRANSCEIVERS 9
Structure of a wireless communication link, Modulation and demodulation – Quadrature Phase Shift Keying, p/4-Differential Quadrature Phase Shift Keying, Offset-Quadrature Phase Shift Keying, Binary Frequency Shift Keying, Minimum Shift Keying, Gaussian Minimum Shift Keying, Power spectrum and Error performance in fading channels.
UNIT IV SIGNAL PROCESSING IN WIRELESS SYSTEMS 9
Principle of Diversity, Macrodiversity, Microdiversity, Signal Combining Techniques, Transmit diversity, Equalisers- Linear and Decision Feedback equalisers, Review of Channel coding and Speech coding techniques.
UNIT V ADVANCED TRANSCEIVER SCHEMES 9
Spread Spectrum Systems- Cellular Code Division Multiple Access Systems- Principle, Power control, Effects of multipath propagation on Code Division Multiple Access, Orthogonal Frequency Division Multiplexing – Principle, Cyclic Prefix, Transceiver implementation, Second Generation(GSM, IS–95) and Third Generation Wireless Networks and Standards
TOTAL : 45 PERIODS
1. Andreas.F. Molisch, “Wireless Communications”, John Wiley – India, 2006.
2. Simon Haykin & Michael Moher, “Modern Wireless Communications”, Pearson
1. Rappaport. T.S., “Wireless communications”, Pearson Education, 2003.
2. Gordon L. Stuber, “Principles of Mobile Communication”, Springer International Ltd.,
3. Andrea Goldsmith, Wireless Communications, Cambridge University Press, 2007.
Anna University Nov/Dec 2012 Timetable Result
To get instant updates like us in Facebook