Wednesday, June 27, 2012
EC2315 COMMUNICATION ENGINEERING L T P C
3 0 0 3
1. To introduce the fundamental techniques of analog, digital and data communication.
2. To explain satellite and fiber optic communication and Networking systems.
i. To understand basic signals, analog modulation, demodulation and radio receivers. ii. To explain the characteristics and model of transmission medium.
iii. To understand source digitization, digital multiplexing and modulation. iv. To understand data communication system and techniques.
v. To learn the basics of satellite and optical fiber communication systems.
UNIT I INTRODUCTION 9
Transmission lines – Types, equivalent circuit, losses, standing waves, impedance matching, bandwidth; radio propagation – Ground wave and space wave propagation, critical frequency, maximum usable frequency, Path Loss, Gaussian white noise. Time and frequency domain representation of signals need for modulation
UNIT II ANALOG MODULATION SYSTEMS 9
Amplitude modulation and demodulation, frequency modulation and demodulation, super heterodyne radio receiver. Frequency division multiplexing. Time Division mulltiplexing.
UNIT III DIGITAL COMMUNICATION 9
Pulse code modulation, digital T-carrier system. Digital radio system. Digital modulation: Amplitude Shift Key, Frequency and phase shift keying, Quadrature Phase Shift Key – Modulator and demodulator, bit error rate calculation.
UNIT IV DATA COMMUNICATION AND NETWORK PROTOCOL 9
Data Communication codes, error control, data modem, ISDN, LAN, ISO-OSI seven layer architecture for WAN.
UNIT V SATELLITE AND OPTICAL FIBRE COMMUNICATION SYSTEM 9
Introduction to satellite communication, Optical Fiber communication, Television Engineering, Microwave communication and Cellular communication
TOTAL : 45 PERIODS TEXT BOOKS
1. Wayne Tomasi, ‘Electronic Communication Systems’, Pearson Education, 3rd Edition, 2001.
2. Roy Blake, ‘Electronic Communication Systems’, Thomson Delmar, 2nd Edition, 2002.
1. William Schweber, ‘Electronic Communication Systems’, Prentice Hall of India, 2002.
2. G. Kennedy, ‘Electronic Communication Systems’, McGraw Hill, 4th edition, 2002.
3. Miller, ‘Modern Electronic Communication’, Prentice Hall of India, 2003
4. Simon Haykins, Communication systems, John Wiley,4th Edition,2001
Anna University Nov/Dec 2012 Timetable Result
To get instant updates like us in Facebook