EC2304 MICROPROCESSOR AND MICROCONTROLLER L T P C
3 1 0 4
AIM To learn the architecture, programming, interfacing and rudiments of system design of microprocessors and microcontrollers.
· To introduce microprocessors and basics of system design using microprocessors.
· To introduce h/w architecture, instruction set and programming of 8085 microprocessor.
· To introduce the h/w architecture, instruction set and programming of 8086 microprocessor.
· To introduce the peripheral interfacing of microprocessors.
· To introduce through case studies, the system design principles using 8085 and
· To introduce the h/w architecture, instruction set, programming and interfacing of
UNIT I INTRODUCTION TO 8 BIT AND 16 BIT MICROPROCESSORS – H/W ARCHITECTURE 9
Introduction to microprocessor, computer and its organization, Programming system, Address bus, data bus and control bus, Tristate bus, clock generation, Connecting Microprocessor to I/O devices , Data transfer schemes, Architectural advancements of microprocessors. Introductory System design using microprocessors, 8086 – Hardware Architecture, External memory addressing, Bus cycles, some important Companion Chips, Maximum mode bus cycle, 8086 system configuration, Memory Interfacing, Minimum mode system configuration, Maximum mode system configuration, Interrupt processing, Direct memory access.
UNIT II 16 BIT MICROPROCESSOR INSTRUCTION SET AND ASSEMBLY LANGUAGE PROGRAMMING 9
Programmer’s model of 8086, operand types, operand addressing, assembler directives, instruction set - Data transfer group, Arithmetic group, logical group, control transfer group, miscellaneous instruction groups, programming.
UNIT III MICROPROCESSOR PERIPHERAL INTERFACING 9
Introduction, Generation of I/O Ports, Programmable Peripheral Interface (PPI)-Intel
8255, Sample-and-Hold Circuit and Multiplexer, Keyboard and Display Interface, Keyboard and Display Controller (8279), Programmable Interval timers (Intel 8253,
8254), D-to-A converter, A-to-D converter, CRT Terminal Interface, Printer Interface.
UNIT IV 8 BIT MICROCONTROLLER- H/W ARCHITECTURE, INSTRUCTION
SET AND PROGRAMMING 9
Introduction to 8051 Micro-controller, Architecture, Memory organization, Special function registers, Port Operation, Memory Interfacing, I/O Interfacing, Programming
8051 resources, interrupts, Programmer’s model of 8051, Operand types, Operand addressing, Data transfer instructions, Arithmetic instructions, Logic instructions, Control transfer instructions, Programming
UNIT V SYSTEM DESIGN USING MICRO PROCESSOR &
Case studies – Traffic light control, washing machine control, RTC Interfacing using I2C Standard- Motor Control- Relay, PWM, DC & Stepper Motor.
L: 45, T: 15, TOTAL= 60 PERIODS TEXT BOOKS
1. Krishna Kant, “MICROPROCESSORS AND MICROCONTROLLERS Architecture,
programming and system design using 8085, 8086, 8051 and 8096”. PHI 2007.
2. Douglas V Hall, “MICROPROCESSORS AND INTERFACING, PROGRAMMING AND HARDWARE” TMH, 2006.
1. Muhammad Ali Mazidi, Janice Gillispie Mazidi, Rolin D.MCKinlay The 8051
Microcontroller and Embedded Systems, Second Edition, Pearson Education 2008.
2. Kenneth J. Ayala, “The 8086 Microprocessor: Programming & Interfacing The PC”,
Delmar Publishers, 2007.
3. A K Ray, K M Bhurchandi, Advanced Microprocessors and Peripherals, TMH, 2007.
Anna University Revaluation Results
To get instant updates like us in Facebook