Friday, June 22, 2012
EC2301 DIGITAL COMMUNICATION L T P C
3 0 0 3
To introduce the basic concepts of Digital Communication in baseband and passband domains and to give an exposure to error control coding techniques.
· To study signal space representation of signals and discuss the process of sampling, quantization and coding that are fundamental to the digital transmission of analog signals.
· To understand baseband and bandpass signal transmission and reception techniques.
· To learn error control coding which encompasses techniques for the encoding and decoding of digital data streams for their reliable transmission over noisy channels.
UNIT I DIGITAL COMMUNICATION SYSTEM 8
Introduction to Analog Pulse Communication Systems – Digital Communication Systems
– Functional description, Channel classification, Performance Measure; Geometric representation of Signals, Bandwidth , Mathematical Models of Communication Channel.
UNIT II BASEBAND FORMATTING TECHNIQUES 10
Sampling – Impulse sampling, Natural Sampling, Sampler Implementation; Quantisation
– Uniform and Non-uniform; Encoding Techniques for Analog Sources- Temporal waveform encoding, Spectral waveform encoding, Model-based encoding, Comparison of speech encoding methods.
UNIT III BASEBAND CODING TECHNIQUES 9
Error Control Codes - Block Codes , Convolutional Codes, Concept of Error Free Communication; Classification of line codes, desirable characteristics and power spectra of line codes.
UNIT IV BASEBAND RECEPTION TECHNIQUES 9
Noise in Communication Systems; Receiving Filter – Correlator type, Matched Filter type; Equalising Filter - Signal and system design for ISI elimination, Implementation, Eye Pattern analysis; Synchronisation; Detector – Maximum Likelihood Detector, Error Probability, Figure-of-Merit for Digital Detection.
UNIT V BANDPASS SIGNAL TRANSMISSION AND RECEPTION 9
Memory less modulation methods - Representation and Spectral characteristics, ASK, PSK, QAM, QPSK, FSK; Bandpass receiving filter, Error performance – Coherent and Non-coherent detection systems.
TOTAL= 45 PERIODS TEXT BOOKS
1. Amitabha Bhattacharya, “Digital Communications”, Tata McGraw Hill, 2006.
2. Simon Haykin, “Digital Communications”, John Wiley, 2006.
1. John.G. Proakis, “Fundamentals of Communication Systems”, Pearson Education,
2. Michael. B. Purrsley, “Introduction to Digital Communication”, Pearson Education,
3. Bernard Sklar, Digital Communication, 2nd Edition, Paerson Education, 2006
4. Herbert Taub & Donald L Schilling – Principles of Communication Systems ( 3rd
Edition ) – Tata McGraw Hill, 2008.
5. Leon W. Couch, Digital and Analog Communication Systems, 6th Edition, Pearson
Anna University Nov/Dec 2012 Timetable Result
To get instant updates like us in Facebook