Friday, June 22, 2012
EC2037 MULTIMEDIA COMPRESSION AND COMMUNICATION L T P C
3 0 0 3
To introduce the fundamental concepts of information theory.
· To have a complete understanding of error–control coding.
· To understand encoding and decoding of digital data streams.
· To introduce methods for the generation of these codes and their decoding techniques.
· To have a detailed knowledge of compression and decompression techniques.
· To introduce the concepts of multimedia communication.
UNIT I MULTIMEDIA COMPONENTS 9
Introduction - Multimedia skills - Multimedia components and their chacracteristics - Text, sound, images, graphics, animation, video, hardware.
UNIT II AUDIO AND VIDEO COMPRESSION 9
Audio compression–DPCM-Adaptive PCM –adaptive predictive coding-linear Predictive coding-code excited LPC-perpetual coding Video compression –principles-H.261-H.263- MPEG 1, 2, 4.
UNIT III TEXT AND IMAGE COMPRESSION 9
Compression principles-source encoders and destination encoders-lossless and lossy compression-entropy encoding –source encoding -text compression –static Huffman coding dynamic coding –arithmetic coding –Lempel ziv-welsh Compression-image compression
UNIT IV VOIP TECHNOLOGY 9
Basics of IP transport, VoIP challenges, H.323/ SIP –Network Architecture, Protocols, Call establishment and release, VoIP and SS7, Quality of Service- CODEC Methods- VOIP applicability
UNIT V MULTIMEDIA NETWORKING 9
Multimedia networking -Applications-streamed stored and audio-making the best Effort service-protocols for real time interactive Applications-distributing multimedia-beyond best effort service-secluding and policing Mechanisms-integrated services-differentiated Services-RSVP.
1. Fred HAlshall “Multimedia communication - applications, networks, protocols and standards”, Pearson education, 2007.
2. Tay Vaughan, “Multideai: making it work”, 7/e, TMH 2007
3. Kurose and W.Ross” Computer Networking “a Top down approach, Pearson education.
1. Marcus goncalves “Voice over IP Networks”, Mcgaraw hill
2. KR. Rao,Z S Bojkovic, D A Milovanovic, “Multimedia Communication Systems: Techniques, Standards, and Networks”, Pearson Education 2007
3. R. Steimnetz, K. Nahrstedt, “Multimedia Computing, Communications and
Applications”, Pearson Education
4. Ranjan Parekh, “Principles of Multimedia”, TMH 2006
Anna University Nov/Dec 2012 Timetable Result
To get instant updates like us in Facebook