EC2034 TELEVISION AND VIDEO ENGINEERING L T P C
3 0 0 3
Television Technology has now become a vital tool to the information revolution that is sweeping across the countries of the world. The syllabus aims at a comprehensive coverage of Television Systems with all the new developments in Television Engineering
· To study the analysis and synthesis of TV Pictures, Composite Video Signal, Receiver Picture Tubes and Television Camera Tubes
· To study the principles of Monochrome Television Transmitter and Receiver systems.
· To study the various Color Television systems with a greater emphasis on PAL
· To study the advanced topics in Television systems and Video Engineering
UNIT I FUNDAMENTALS OF TELEVISION 9
Aspect ratio-Image continuity-Number of scanning lines-Interlaced scanning-Picture resolution-Camera tubes-Image Orthicon-Vidicon- Plumbicon- Silicon Diode Array Vidicon- Solid-state Image scanners- Monochrome picture tubes- Composite video
signal- video signal dimension-horizontal sync. Composition-vertical sync. Details- functions of vertical pulse train- Scanning sequence details. Picture signal transmission- positive and negative modulation- VSB transmission- Sound signal transmission- Standard channel bandwidth.
UNIT II MONOCHROME TELEVISION TRANSMITTER AND RECEIVER 9
TV transmitter-TV signal Propagation- Interference- TV Transmission Antennas- Monochrome TV receiver- RF tuner- UHF, VHF tuner-Digital tuning techniques-AFT-IF subsystems-AGC Noise cancellation-Video and Sound inter-carrier detection-Vision IF subsystem- DC re-insertion-Video amplifier circuits-Sync operation- typical sync processing circuits-Deflection current waveforms, Deflection oscillators- Frame deflection circuits- requirements- Line deflection circuits-EHT generation-Receiver antennas.
UNIT III ESSENTIALS OF COLOUR TELEVISION 9
Compatibility- Colour perception-Three colour theory- Luminance, Hue and saturation- Colour television cameras-Values of luminance and colour difference signals-Colour television display tubes-Delta-gun Precision-in-line and Trinitron colour picture tubes- Purity and convergence- Purity and static and Dynamic convergence adjustments- Pincushion-correction techniques-Automatic degaussing circuit- Gray scale tracking- colour signal transmission- Bandwidth-Modulation of colour difference signals-Weighting factors-Formation of chrominance signal.
UNIT IV COLOUR TELEVISION SYSTEMS 9
NTSC colour TV systems-SECAM system- PAL colour TV systems- Cancellation of phase errors-PAL-D Colour system-PAL coder-PAL-Decoder receiver-Chromo signal amplifier-separation of U and V signals-colour burst separation-Burst phase Discriminator-ACC amplifier-Reference Oscillator-Ident and colour killer circuits-U and V demodulators- Colour signal matrixing. Sound in TV
ADVANCED TELEVISION SYSTEMS
technology-Geo Stationary Satellites-Satellite
Broadcast System-Cable TV-Cable Signal Sources-Cable Signal Processing,
Distribution & Scrambling- Video Recording-VCR Electronics-Video Home Formats-
Video Disc recording and playback-DVD Players-Tele Text Signal coding and broadcast receiver- Digital television-Transmission and reception –Projection television-Flat panel display TV receivers-LCD and Plasma screen receivers-3DTV-EDTV.
TOTAL = 45 PERIODS
1. R.R.Gulati, “Monochrome Television Practice, Principles, Technology and servicing.” Third Edition 2006, New Age International (P) Publishers.
2. R.R.Gulati, Monochrome & Color Television, New Age International Publisher, 2003.
1. A.M Dhake, “Television and Video Engineering”, 2nd ed., TMH, 2003.
2. R.P.Bali, Color Television, Theory and Practice, Tata McGraw-Hill, 1994