Friday, June 22, 2012
EC2029 DIGITAL IMAGE PROCESSING L T P C
3 0 0 3
To introduce the student to various image processing techniques.
· To study the image fundamentals and mathematical transforms necessary for image processing.
· To study the image enhancement techniques
· To study image restoration procedures.
· To study the image compression procedures.
· To study the image segmentation and representation techniques.
UNIT I DIGITAL IMAGE FUNDAMENTALS 9
Elements of digital image processing systems, Vidicon and Digital Camera working principles, Elements of visual perception, brightness, contrast, hue, saturation, mach band effect, Color image fundamentals - RGB, HSI models, Image sampling, Quantization, dither, Two-dimensional mathematical preliminaries, 2D transforms - DFT, DCT, KLT, SVD.
UNIT II IMAGE ENHANCEMENT 9
Histogram equalization and specification techniques, Noise distributions, Spatial averaging, Directional Smoothing, Median, Geometric mean, Harmonic mean, Contraharmonic mean filters, Homomorphic filtering, Color image enhancement.
UNIT III IMAGE RESTORATION 9
Image Restoration - degradation model, Unconstrained restoration - Lagrange multiplier and Constrained restoration, Inverse filtering-removal of blur caused by uniform linear motion, Wiener filtering, Geometric transformations-spatial transformations.
UNIT IV IMAGE SEGMENTATION 9
Edge detection, Edge linking via Hough transform – Thresholding - Region based segmentation – Region growing – Region splitting and Merging – Segmentation by morphological watersheds – basic concepts – Dam construction – Watershed
UNIT V IMAGE COMPRESSION 9
Need for data compression, Huffman, Run Length Encoding, Shift codes, Arithmetic coding, Vector Quantization, Transform coding, JPEG standard, MPEG.
TOTAL : 45 PERIODS
1. Rafael C. Gonzalez, Richard E. Woods, , Digital Image Processing', Pearson, Second Edition, 2004.
2. Anil K. Jain, , Fundamentals of Digital Image Processing', Pearson 2002.
1. Kenneth R. Castleman, Digital Image Processing, Pearson, 2006.
2. Rafael C. Gonzalez, Richard E. Woods, Steven Eddins,' Digital Image Processing using MATLAB', Pearson Education, Inc., 2004.
3. D,E. Dudgeon and RM. Mersereau, , Multidimensional Digital Signal Processing', Prentice Hall Professional Technical Reference, 1990.
4. William K. Pratt, , Digital Image Processing' , John Wiley, New York, 2002
5. Milan Sonka et aI, 'IMAGE PROCESSING, ANALYSIS AND MACHINE VISION', Brookes/Cole, Vikas Publishing House, 2nd edition, 1999,
Anna University Nov/Dec 2012 Timetable Result
To get instant updates like us in Facebook