EC 2255 CONTROL SYSTEMS L T P C
3 0 0 3
To familiarize the students with concepts related to the operation analysis and
stabilization of control systems
To understand the open loop and closed loop (feedback ) systems
To understand time domain and frequency domain analysis of control systems
required for stability analysis.
To understand the compensation technique that can be used to stabilize control
UNIT I CONTROL SYSTEM MODELING 9
Basic Elements of Control System – Open loop and Closed loop systems - Differential
equation - Transfer function, Modeling of Electric systems, Translational and rotational
mechanical systems - Block diagram reduction Techniques - Signal flow graph
UNIT II TIME RESPONSE ANALYSIS 9
Time response analysis - First Order Systems - Impulse and Step Response analysis of
second order systems - Steady state errors – P, PI, PD and PID Compensation, Analysis
UNIT III FREQUENCY RESPONSE ANALYSIS 9
Frequency Response - Bode Plot, Polar Plot, Nyquist Plot - Frequency Domain
specifications from the plots - Constant M and N Circles - Nichol’s Chart - Use of
Nichol’s Chart in Control System Analysis. Series, Parallel, series-parallel Compensators
- Lead, Lag, and Lead Lag Compensators, Analysis using MATLAB.
UNIT IV STABILITY ANALYSIS 9
Stability, Routh-Hurwitz Criterion, Root Locus Technique, Construction of Root Locus,
Stability, Dominant Poles, Application of Root Locus Diagram - Nyquist Stability Criterion
- Relative Stability, Analysis using MATLAB
UNIT V STATE VARIABLE ANALYSIS & DIGITAL CONTROL SYSTEMS 9
State space representation of Continuous Time systems – State equations – Transfer
function from State Variable Representation – Solutions of the state equations -
Concepts of Controllability and Observability – State space representation for Discrete
time systems. Sampled Data control systems – Sampling Theorem – Sample & Hold –
Open loop & Closed loop sampled data systems.
TOTAL : 45 PERIODS
1. J.Nagrath and M.Gopal,” Control System Engineering”, New Age International
Publishers, 5th Edition, 2007.
2. M.Gopal, “Control System – Principles and Design”, Tata McGraw Hill, 2nd Edition,
1. Benjamin.C.Kuo, “Automatic control systems”, Prentice Hall of India, 7th
2. M.Gopal, Digital Control and State Variable Methods, 2nd Edition, TMH, 2007.
Schaum’s Outline Series,’Feedback and Control Systems’ Tata McGraw-
3. John J.D’azzo & Constantine H.Houpis, ’Linear control system analysis and design’,
Tata McGrow-Hill, Inc., 1995.
4. Richard C. Dorf & Robert H. Bishop, “ Modern Control Systems”, Addidon – Wesley,
Anna University Revaluation Results
To get instant updates like us in Facebook