CE2401 DESIGN OF REINFORCED CONCRETE & BRICK MASONRY STRUCTURES
L T P C
3 1 0 4
This course covers the design of Reinforced Concrete Structures such as Retaining Wall, Water Tanks, Staircases, Flat slabs and Principles of design pertaining to Box culverts, Mat foundation and Bridges. At the end of the course student has a comprehensive design knowledge related to structures, systems that are likely to be encountered in professional practice.
UNIT I RETAINING WALLS 12
Design of cantilever and counter fort retaining walls
UNIT II WATER TANKS 12
Underground rectangular tanks – Domes – Overhead circular and rectangular tanks – Design of staging and foundations
UNIT III SELECTED TOPICS 12
Design of staircases (ordinary and doglegged) – Design of flat slabs – Design of Reinforced concrete walls – Principles of design of mat foundation, box culvert and road bridges
UNIT IV YIELD LINE THEORY 12
Application of virtual work method to square, rectangular, circular and triangular slabs
UNIT V BRICK MASONRY 12
Introduction, Classification of walls, Lateral supports and stability, effective height of wall and columns, effective length of walls, design loads, load dispersion, permissible stresses, design of axially and eccentrically loaded brick walls
TUTORIAL: 15 TOTAL: 60 PERIODS TEXT BOOKS
1. Krishna Raju, N., "Design of RC Structures", CBS Publishers and Distributors, Delhi,
2. Dayaratnam, P., "Brick and Reinforced Brick Structures", Oxford & IBH Publishing
3. Varghese, P.C., "Limit State Design of Reinforced Concrete Structures "Prentice hall of
India Pvt Ltd New Delhi, 2007.
1. Mallick, D.K. and Gupta A.P., "Reinforced Concrete", Oxford and IBH Publishing
2. Syal, I.C. and Goel, A.K., "Reinforced Concrete Structures", A.H. Wheelers & Co. Pvt.
3. Ram Chandra.N. and Virendra Gehlot, "Limit State Design", Standard Book House.2004.