Monday 25 June 2012
CE2304 ENVIRONMENTAL ENGINEERING – I B.E. CIVIL ENGINEERING SYLLABUS ANNA UNIVERSITY, CHENNAI AFFILIATED INSTITUTIONS R - 2008
ANNA UNIVERSITY, CHENNAI
R - 2008
B.E. CIVIL ENGINEERING
CE2304 ENVIRONMENTAL ENGINEERING – I L T P C
3 0 0 3
To make the students conversant with principles of water supply, treatment and distribution
UNIT I PLANNING FOR WATERSUPPLY SYSTEM 9
Public water supply system -Planning -Objectives -Design period -Population forecasting -Water demand -Sources of water and their characteristics -Surface and Groundwater- Impounding Reservoir Well hydraulics -Development and selection of source - Water quality - Characterization -Water quality standards.
UNIT II CONVEYANCE SYSTEM 9
Water supply -intake structures -Functions and drawings -Pipes and conduits for water- Pipe materials -Hydraulics of flow in pipes -Transmission main design -Laying, jointing and testing of pipes -Drawings appurtenances - Types and capacity of pumps -Selection of pumps and pipe materials.
UNIT III WATER TREATMENT 9
Objectives -Unit operations and processes -Principles, functions design and drawing of Flash mixers, fiocculators, sedimentation tanks and sand filters -Disinfection- Residue Management.
UNIT IV ADVANCED WATER TREATMENT 9
Aerator- Iron and manganese removal, Defluoridation and demineralization -Water softening - Desalination -Membrane Systems -Construction and Operation & Maintenance aspects of Water Treatment Plants -Recent advances -Membrane Processes
UNIT V WATER DISTRIBUTION AND SUPPLY TO BUILDINGS 9
Requirements of water distribution -Components -Service reservoirs -Functions and drawings - Network design -Economics -Computer applications -Analysis of distribution networks - Appurtenances -operation and maintenance -Leak detection, Methods. Principles of design of water supply in buildings -House service connection -Fixtures and fittings -Systems of plumbing and drawings of types of plumbing.
TOTAL: 45 PERIODS
1. Garg, S.K., Environmental Engineering, Vol.1 Khanna Publishers, New Delhi, 2005.
2. Modi, P.N. Water Supply Engineering, Vol. I Standard Book House, New Delhi, 2005.
3. Punmia, B.C., Ashok K Jain and Arun K Jain, Water Supply Engineering, Laxmi Publications
(P) Ltd., New Delhi, 2005
1. Manual on Water Supply and Treatment, CPHEEO, Ministry of Urban Development, Government of India, New Delhi, 2003
2. Syed R.Qasim and Edward M.Motley Guang Zhu, Water Works Engineering Planning, Design and Operation, Prentice Hall of India Private Limited, New Delhi – 2006.
Anna University Nov/Dec 2012 Timetable Result
To get instant updates like us in Facebook