CE2301 Irrigation Engineering B.E. CIVIL ENGINEERING SYLLABUS ANNA UNIVERSITY, CHENNAI AFFILIATED INSTITUTIONS R - 2008
ANNA UNIVERSITY, CHENNAI
R - 2008
B.E. CIVIL ENGINEERING
At the end of the semester, the student shall understand the need and mode of irrigation. The student also shall know the irrigation management practices of the past, present and future. The structures involved the elementary hydraulic design of different structures and the concepts of maintenance shall also form part. Finally, the student shall be in a position to conceive and plan any type of irrigation project.
UNIT I INTRODUCTION 9
Irrigation – Need and mode of irrigation – Merits and demerits of irrigation – Crop and crop seasons – consumptive use of water – Duty – Factors affecting duty – Irrigation efficiencies – Planning and Development of irrigation projects.
UNIT II IRRIGATION METHODS 8
Canal irrigation – Lift irrigation – Tank irrigation – Flooding methods – Merits and demerits – Sprinkler irrigation – Drip irrigation
UNIT III DIVERSION AND IMPOUNDING STRUCTURES 10
Weirs – elementary profile of a weir – weirs on pervious foundations - Types of impounding structures - Percolation ponds – Tanks, Sluices and Weirs – Gravity dams – Earth dams – Arch dams – Spillways – Factors affecting location and type of dams – Forces on a dam – Hydraulic design of dams.
UNIT IV CANAL IRRIGATION 10
Alignment of canals – Classification of canals – Canal drops – Hydraulic design of drops – Cross drainage works – Hydraulic design of cross drainage works – Canal Head works – Canal regulators – River Training works.
UNIT V IRRIGATION WATER MANAGEMENT 8
Need for optimisation of water use – Minimising irrigation water losses – On farm development works - Participatory irrigation management – Water users associations – Changing paradigms in water management – Performance evaluation.
TOTAL: 45 PERIODS
1. Asawa, G.L., "Irrigation Engineering", New Age International Publishers, 2000
2. Punima B.C. & Pande B.B .Lal Irrigation and Water Power Engineering, Laxmi Publishing, New Delhi 2007
3. Michael, A.M, Irrigation Theory and Practical, Vikas Publishing Pvt Ltd, 2006
4. Gupta, B.L, & Amir Gupta, "Irrigation Engineering", Satya Praheshan, New Delhi
1. Dilip Kumar Majumdar, "Irrigation Water Management (Principles & Practices)", Prentice Hall of India (P), Ltd, 2000
2. Basak, N.N, "Irrigation Engineering", Tata McGraw-Hill Publishing Co. New Delhi, 1999
3. Sharma R.K.. "Irrigation Engineering", S.Chand & Co. 2007.
Anna University Revaluation Results
To get instant updates like us in Facebook