ANNA UNIVERSITY, CHENNAI-
R - 2008
-B.E. CIVIL ENGINEERING
ELECTIVE – III
CE2037 INDUSTRIAL WASTE MANAGEMENT L T P C
3 0 0 3
This subject deals with the pollution from major industries and methods of controlling the same. The student is expected to know about the polluting potential of major industries in the country and the methods of controlling the same.
UNIT I INTRODUCTION 8
Types of industries and industrial pollution – Characteristics of industrial wastes – Population equivalent – Bioassay studies – effects of industrial effluents on streams, sewer, land, sewage treatment plants and human health – Environmental legislations related to prevention and control of industrial effluents and hazardous wastes
UNIT II CLEANER PRODUCTION 8
Waste management Approach – Waste Audit – Volume and strength reduction – Material and process modifications – Recycle, reuse and byproduct recovery – Applications.
UNIT III POLLUTION FROM MAJOR INDUSTRIES 9
Sources, Characteristics, waste treatment flow sheets for selected industries such as Textiles, Tanneries, Pharmaceuticals, Electroplating industries, Dairy, Sugar, Paper, distilleries, Steel plants, Refineries, fertilizer, thermal power plants – Wastewater reclamation concepts
UNIT IV TREATMENT TECHNOLOGIES 11
Equalisation – Neutralisation – Removal of suspended and dissolved organic solids - Chemical oxidation – Adsorption - Removal of dissolved inorganics – Combined treatment of industrial and municipal wastes – Residue management – Dewatering - Disposal
UNIT V HAZARDOUS WASTE MANAGEMENT 9
Hazardous wastes - Physico chemical treatment – solidification – incineration – Secure land fills
TOTAL: 45 PERIODS TEXT BOOKS
1. M.N.Rao & A.K.Dutta, "Wastewater Treatment", Oxford - IBH Publication, 1995.
2. W .W. Eckenfelder Jr., "Industrial Water Pollution Control", McGraw-Hill Book Company, New Delhi, 2000.
1. T.T.Shen, "Industrial Pollution Prevention", Springer, 1999.
2. R.L.Stephenson and J.B.Blackburn, Jr., "Industrial Wastewater Systems Hand book", Lewis Publisher, New Yark, 1998
3. H.M.Freeman, "Industrial Pollution Prevention Hand Book", McGraw-Hill Inc., New Delhi,
4. Bishop, P.L., "Pollution Prevention: Fundamental & Practice", McGraw-Hill, 2000.