ANNA UNIVERSITY, CHENNAI-
R - 2008
-B.E. CIVIL ENGINEERING
ELECTIVE – II
CE2033 GROUND IMPROVEMENT TECHNIQUES L T P C
3 0 0 3
After this course, the student is expected to identify basic deficiencies of various soil deposits and he/she be in a position to decide various ways and means of improving the soil and implementing techniques of improvement.
UNIT I INTRODUCTION 9
Role of ground improvement in foundation engineering - methods of ground improvement – Geotechnical problems in alluvial, laterite and black cotton soils -Selection of suitable ground improvement techniques based on soil condition.
UNIT II DRAINAGE AND DEWATERING 9
Drainage techniques - Well points - Vaccum and electroosmotic methods - Seepage analysis for two dimensional flow-fully and partially penetrating slots in homogenous deposits (Simple cases only).
UNIT III INSITU TREATMENT OF COHESIONLESS AND COHESIVE SOILS 9
Insitu densification of cohesionless and consolidation of cohesive soils -Dynamic compaction and consolidation - Vibrofloation - Sand pile compaction - Preloading with sand drains and fabric drains – Stone columns – Lime piles - Installation techniques only - relative merits of various methods and their limitations.
UNIT IV EARTH REINFORCEMENT 9
Concept of reinforcement - Types of reinforcement material - Applications of reinforced earth –
use of Geotextiles for filtration, drainage and separation in road and other works.
UNIT V GROUT TECHNIQUES 9
Types of grouts - Grouting equipment and machinery - Injection methods - Grout monitoring – Stabilisation with cement, lime and chemicals - Stabilisation of expansive soils.
TOTAL: 45 PERIODS
1. Koerner R.M., "Construction and Geotechnical Methods in Foundation Engineering", McGraw-Hill, 1994.
2. Purushothama Raj, P. "Ground Improvement Techniques", Tata McGraw-Hill Publishing
Company, New Delhi, 1995
1. Moseley M.P., Ground Improvement Blockie Academic and Professional, Chapman and
Hall, Glassgow, 1993.
2. Jones J.E.P., Earth Reinforcement and Soil Structure, Butterworths, 1995.
3. Koerner, R.M., "Design with Geosynthetics", (3rd Edition) Prentice Hall, New Jersey,
4. Jewell, R.A., "Soil Reinforcement with Geotextiles", CIRIA special publication, London,
5. Das, B.M., "Principles of Foundation Engineering", Thomson Books / Cole, 2003.