ANNA UNIVERSITY, CHENNAI-
R - 2008
-B.E. CIVIL ENGINEERING
CE 2404 PRESTRESSED CONCRETE STRUCTURE L T P C
3 0 0 3
At the end of this course the student shall have a knowledge of methods of prestressing, advantages of prestressing concrete, the losses involved and the design methods for prestressed concrete elements under codal provisions.
UNIT I INTRODUCTION – THEORY AND BEHAVIOUR 9
Basic concepts – Advantages – Materials required – Systems and methods of prestressing – Analysis of sections – Stress concept – Strength concept – Load balancing concept – Effect of loading on the tensile stresses in tendons – Effect of tendon profile on deflections – Factors influencing deflections – Calculation of deflections – Short term and long term deflections - Losses of prestress – Estimation of crack width
UNIT II DESIGN CONCEPTS 9
Flexural strength – Simplified procedures as per codes – strain compatibility method – Basic concepts in selection of cross section for bending – stress distribution in end block, Design of anchorage zone reinforcement – Limit state design criteria – Partial prestressing – Applications.
UNIT III CIRCULAR PRESTRESSING 9
Design of prestressed concrete tanks – Pipes
UNIT IV COMPOSITE CONSTRUCTION 9
Analysis for stresses – Estimate for deflections – Flexural and shear strength of composite members
UNIT V PRE-STRESSED CONCRETE BRIDGES 9
General aspects – pretensioned prestressed bridge decks – Post tensioned prestressed bridge decks – Principles of design only.
TOTAL: 45 PERIODS
1. Krishna Raju N., Prestressed concrete, Tata McGraw Hill Company, New Delhi 1998
2. Mallic S.K. and Gupta A.P., Prestressed concrete, Oxford and IBH publishing Co. Pvt.
3. Rajagopalan, N, "Prestressed Concrete", Alpha Science, 2002
1. Ramaswamy G.S., Modern prestressed concrete design, Arnold Heinimen, New Delhi,
2. Lin T.Y. Design of prestressed concrete structures, Asia Publishing House, Bombay
3. David A.Sheppard, William R. and Philips, Plant Cast precast and prestressed concrete
– A design guide, McGraw Hill, New Delhi 1992.