ANNA UNIVERSITY, CHENNAI
R - 2008
B.E. CIVIL ENGINEERING
ELECTIVE – V
CE 2048 INDUSTRIAL STRUCTURES L T P C
3 0 0 3
This course deals with some of the special aspects with respect to Civil Engineering structures in industries. At the end of this course the student shall be able to design some of the structures.
UNIT I PLANNING 9
Classification of Industries and Industrial structures – General requirements for industries like cement, chemical and steel plants – Planning and layout of buildings and components.
UNIT II FUNCTIONAL REQUIREMENTS 9
Lighting – Ventilation – Acoustics – Fire safety – Guidelines from factories act.
UNIIT III DESIGN OF STEEL STRUCTURES 9
Industrial roofs – Crane girders – Mill buildings – Design of Bunkers and Silos
UNIT IV DESIGN OF R.C. STRUCTURES 9
Silos and bunkers – Chimneys – Principles of folded plates and shell roofs
UNIT V PREFABRICATION 9
Principles of prefabrication – Prestressed precast roof trusses- Functional requirements for
Precast concrete units
TOTAL: 45 PERIODS
1. Reinforced Concrete Structural elements – P. Purushothaman.
2. Pasala Dayaratnam – Design of Steel Structure – 1990.
1. Henn W. Buildings for Industry, vols.I and II, London Hill Books, 1995.
2. Handbook on Functional Requirements of Industrial buildings, SP32 – 1986, Bureau of
Indian Standards, New Delhi 1990.
3. Course Notes on Modern Developments in the Design and Construction of Industrial
Structures, Structural Engineering Research Centre, Madras, 1982.
4. Koncz, J, Manual of Precast Construction Vol I & II Bauverlay GMBH, 1971.